V's Take

Dear V: Ridin’ solo or no-go?

One of my goals has always been to study abroad before I graduate. Recently, an opportunity has come up to spend a year abroad in Spain, which would be a dream come true for me as I’ve been studying Spanish since I started high school. However, I’ve been dating my boyfriend for the last two years, and the time spent apart might hurt our relationship. I don’t want to pass up an opportunity like this, but I don’t know if I can be in a long-distance relationship for a year. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Afraid of Choices

Dear Afraid of Choices,

While college is the time of your life when dozens of opportunities are thrown at you left and right, it’s also the time when you have to learn to prioritize the things in life that you value.

See if it’s possible for your boyfriend to tag along on the trip. If not, you may have to accept that you’re between a rock and a hard place. But stay optimistic. You’re choosing between the two things that would make you equally happy: traveling or spending more time with your beau.

The first thing you’ll have to do is hash it out with your boyfriend. Sure, discussing these kinds of things can be emotionally draining, but if your boyfriend admires your ambition and wants you to achieve your goals, he should respect that you’ve included him in the conversation.

Decide as a pair between splitting or going long-distance if you choose to go abroad. If you call it quits, understand that traveling will be a bittersweet experience and your tapas may be filled with tears for the first couple of weeks. However, realize that you’d also enjoy the experience of salsa dancing with a new group of guys while overseas.

If you go long-distance, it won’t be easy. Between being unable to see each other in person for a year, having to keep each other updated through texts, calls and newly rainbow-puking snaps while possibly running the risk of one of you finding someone else (or worse, cheating), there’s much to fear when you switch to long distance.

Ultimately, the decision of whether you go abroad is up to you. While staying behind with your boyfriend is the easier option, in the end, it’ll lead to resentment – you’ll always wonder if you should have gone anyway.

Make the decision that’s best for you and your passport, and let the chips fall as they may.

-V

Advice Columnist

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...