Football, Sports

Canes lose Coley, gain Berrios for game against Cincinnati

Coley

Coley

The Hurricanes will go into Thursday’s matchup against Cincinnati without junior receiver Stacy Coley, but sophomore receiver Braxton Berrios “feels good” after missing the last two games with a knee injury.

Coley wore a red jersey on practice Sunday, signifying his injured status, and Head Coach Al Golden ruled the receiver out for Thursday’s game against the Bearcats (2-2). The third-year receiver out of Northeast High School has battled a left hamstring injury since the preseason and left the season opener against Bethune-Cookman in the first quarter. After missing the game against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 11, Coley barely played in last week’s matchup versus Nebraska.

“We’ve just got to get that thing healed. We’ll see how long that takes,” Golden said. “Right now he’s doing good. He’s healing.”

Berrios hasn’t played since leaving the field early in the first quarter of the team’s season opener when he tried cutting inside for a pass.

“I was scared. It didn’t sound good. It didn’t look good,” Berrios said about the knee injury. “I’m blessed to have it only be a two-and-a-half-week thing.”

After practice, Berrios repeatedly said, “I’m back” and that he is ready to play in Thursday’s game.

Sophomore linebacker Marques Gayot is out indefinitely after a collision in practice Wednesday sent him to the hospital. He is expected to make a fully recovery.

Junior linebacker Jermaine Grace left the Nebraska game in the third quarter with a shoulder injury and possible concussion. The third-year linebacker out of Miramar High School was cleared for practice and he’s “ready to go,” according to Golden.

The Canes (3-0) face Cincinnati at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in Ohio.

Mark Singer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...