Football, Sports

Canes lose Coley, gain Berrios for game against Cincinnati

Coley

Coley

The Hurricanes will go into Thursday’s matchup against Cincinnati without junior receiver Stacy Coley, but sophomore receiver Braxton Berrios “feels good” after missing the last two games with a knee injury.

Coley wore a red jersey on practice Sunday, signifying his injured status, and Head Coach Al Golden ruled the receiver out for Thursday’s game against the Bearcats (2-2). The third-year receiver out of Northeast High School has battled a left hamstring injury since the preseason and left the season opener against Bethune-Cookman in the first quarter. After missing the game against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 11, Coley barely played in last week’s matchup versus Nebraska.

“We’ve just got to get that thing healed. We’ll see how long that takes,” Golden said. “Right now he’s doing good. He’s healing.”

Berrios hasn’t played since leaving the field early in the first quarter of the team’s season opener when he tried cutting inside for a pass.

“I was scared. It didn’t sound good. It didn’t look good,” Berrios said about the knee injury. “I’m blessed to have it only be a two-and-a-half-week thing.”

After practice, Berrios repeatedly said, “I’m back” and that he is ready to play in Thursday’s game.

Sophomore linebacker Marques Gayot is out indefinitely after a collision in practice Wednesday sent him to the hospital. He is expected to make a fully recovery.

Junior linebacker Jermaine Grace left the Nebraska game in the third quarter with a shoulder injury and possible concussion. The third-year linebacker out of Miramar High School was cleared for practice and he’s “ready to go,” according to Golden.

The Canes (3-0) face Cincinnati at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in Ohio.

Mark Singer