Edge, Travel

Avoid stress of driving by using public transportation to explore Miami

Getting around Miami can sometimes feel like one endless traffic jam. Whether you’re tired of crawling down U.S. 1 or you don’t have access to a vehicle at all, public transportation is a convenient connection to the best of the 305. With so many exciting destinations accessible by Metro, there’s no need for those without cars to feel trapped on campus. Here’s a guide to navigating the city’s public transportation options.

Beaches

There’s no destination more classic Miami than South Beach. Ride the Metrorail to Government Center, then take the C, S or 120 bus across the bridge to your preferred spot.

For a more scenic beach getaway, take the 102 bus from the Brickell Metrorail station to Crandon Park, where you can lounge under palm trees on the sand. For an aquatic detour, get off the bus a few stops earlier at Miami Seaquarium.

Museums

Pérez Art Museum Miami is the perfect afternoon trip for modern art lovers, and it’s just a short walk away from the Museum Park Metromover station.

For history lovers, HistoryMiami offers an array of exhibitions and tours and is located just a short walk from the Government Center Metro station.

Away from the hustle and bustle of the city is Vizcaya Museum and Gardens, an elegant seaside getaway. It’s hard to miss this historic destination, which is perfect for picnics and has its own Metrorail station.

Nick Gangemi // Editor-in-Chief

Nick Gangemi // Editor-in-Chief

Neighborhoods

When you’re craving a classier nightlife scene than Coconut Grove, check out the bars and gastropubs in Brickell, about a 10-minute ride from campus with its own Metrorail station.

If you’re looking for a taste of Cuban culture, the most authentic place to go is Little Havana. Catch the Route 8 or 207 bus from the Brickell Metrorail station. If you’re visiting during the monthly Viernes Culturales (Cultural Fridays) celebration, take advantage of the free trolley service. The Miami Design District is the place to go for high-end shopping and fine dining, so you can take the Route 9 bus from Government Center to experience this haven for luxury.

Entertainment

The Adrienne Arsht Center is Miami’s premiere destination for theatre, dance and classical music. To reach this cultural hub, take the Metrorail to the Government Center Station, then transfer to the Metromover and get off at the aptly named Adrienne Arsht Station.

Baseball fans can cheer on the home team at Marlins Park by taking the 17 bus from Vizcaya Metrorail Station.

Head to a Heat game or concert at the American Airlines Arena, which is easily accessible via the Park West Metromover station. Also check out the nearby Bayside Marketplace where you can dine at the Hard Rock Cafe or take a dinner cruise. Catch the Omni Loop mover from Government Center, and you’ll avoid both parking fees and traffic.

Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

The Olympia Theater is a gorgeous, historic space on Flagler Street that also hosts a wide variety of musical artists. Take the train to Government Center, then the Metromover to first street. The theatre is less than two blocks away.

For a more intimate concert experience, check out Bardot, a Wynwood music club with eclectic shows nearly every night. Take the Metrorail to Allapattah, then catch the 36 Bus to 36th Street at N. Miami Ave.

For a more intimate concert experience, check out Bardot, a Wynwood music club with eclectic shows nearly every night. Take the Metrorail to Allapattah, then catch the 36 Bus to 36 St at N. Miami Ave.

Madelyn Paquette

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Avoid stress of driving by using public transportation to explore Miami”

1. Ruben says:

Clearly this writer has NEVER used public transportation system in Miami. If they had they would kno how horrible it is. The train pretty much only goes from South Kendall to Downtown and the Airport ( I leave out places like Allapattah because there is NO reason to go there). Also the buses are in the SAME bumper to bumper traffic that makes you want to avoid the roads in the first place. Please actually use the service you are writing an article on. Thanks.

2. We need to improve the public transportation system first in Miami to make it stress free.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...