Campus Life, News

Armenian Student Association created, aims to promote culture, heritage

COSO welcomes the arrival of the Armenian Club to its 280 student organizations. Marcus Lim // Contributing Photographer

COSO welcomes the arrival of the Armenian Club to its 280 student organizations. Photo courtesy UM Armenian Student Association

After a year of assembling and organizing, the Armenian Student Association (ASA) is now recognized as an official student organization.

President Mercedes Alvarez-Gechidjian worked with the Committee on Student Organizations (COSO) since January 2014 to get the organization formally recognized. Now that they are official, ASA has big plans for the campus community.

“We want to let the campus know that we are here and to show everyone our beautiful culture,” said Alvarez-Gechidjian, a junior international studies major. “We want to educate Floridians about the Armenian culture. People don’t know where Armenia is, they don’t know what Armenia is about and how rich our culture is, so our main goal is to let them know.”

Events are being planned to expose the campus community to the tradition, events and holidays that the Armenian culture celebrates. One idea is an Armenian dinner where guests can try khorovats and kebabs, traditional Armenian barbecue.

“Armenians love meat,” Alvarez-Gechidjian said of the proposed event.

An Armenian Easter is also planned. Alvarez-Gechidjian wants the organization to be a home away from home for students, Armenian or otherwise.

Alvarez-Gechidjian, who has Argentinean roots, first came to Florida in 2013 and attended Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale. When she transferred to the University of Miami in the fall of 2014, she met many Armenians but found no club to represent them.

“We all knew an Armenian in UM, so we decided to start a club. It was just an idea we had and we went for it,” she said.

While making the club official, Alvarez-Gechidjian and the other organizers still tried to maintain close family ties within the group. They made trips to St. Mary Armenian Apostolic Church in Ft. Lauderdale and began connecting with Florida International University’s Armenian club.

“I am happy that the Armenian student body is coming together on this,” sophomore and ASA member Michael Ara Bezjian said. “Being a part of a small community or group that takes care of each other is a part of Armenian heritage. It’s a good way to remind us of our roots when we’re busy with school and commitments.”

The club will still have to do an orientation with COSO to learn what it means to be a student organization and what is expected of them on campus. However, the club already has plans lined up and a sense of family among them.

Anyone interested in knowing more about their culture should contact the president, Mercedes Alvarez-Gechidjian, at Mla30@miami.edu.

CORRECTION: The article included incorrect information regarding where Mercedes Alvarez-Gechidjian lived. She attended international high schools in Argentina and Armenia.

Marcus Lim

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...