Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Senate Elections, Student Government Awareness Week, Amendment to Statutes and Constitution

Senate Elections

Elections for the Senate Board run next week from Monday to Wednesday. Students can vote for who will best represent their voices and concerns.

There will be 27 seats open, including representation of different housing, classes and colleges.

Voting can be done on OrgSync from Monday to Tuesday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Voting can be done in person in the Breezeway from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Results will be announced on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.

Student Government Awareness Week

Student Government has been hosting numerous events this past week to connect more with the campus community through fun events. Co-sponsored by United Black Students, Thumpin’ Thursday is on Sept. 24, and there will be free appetizers at the Rat. Those who attend will be able to interact with both organizations.

Canes After Dark takes place Friday, and this month’s theme is For the Love of Art. The Wynwood-inspired theme will feature aerial artists, human statues, free food and free tank tops for the first 100 students.

Amendment to Statutes and Constitution

A bill to amend Student Government Statutes and Constitution was passed to highlight new mentions.

The bill would incorporate the Green Committee into the Energy & Conservation Organization. The committee will be a subdivision and will work to carry out sustainable initiatives at the university.

The constitution was altered so that no person in Student Government can concurrently hold any two offices within the Elections Commission or the executive, legislative and judicial branches.

Notes

Margo Hall and Briana Meneses-Sullivan were sworn in as the senators of UPride/SpectrUM and the National Pan-Hellenic Council, respectively.

Academic Affairs wishes to create a universal absence policy for the school.

Student Affairs is looking into installing skateboard racks for those who need to store their boards while in class.

The green sponsorship form is live, meaning any organization that makes their events environmentally friendly can be sponsored by the Energy & Conservation Organization Agency.

Marcus Lim

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...