Campus Life, Multimedia, News, Video

Ignite Model Competition brings Chinese culture, clothing to Frost

The first ever Ignite Model Competition was hosted on Sunday at the Frost School of Music’s Maurice Gusman Concert Hall, offering the Miami community the chance to explore Chinese cultural clothing with models using the stage as their platform.

Clothed in gorgeous Chinese qipao, a traditional Chinese dress, and bathing suits, 22 striking models from the University of Miami, Florida International University and Miami Dade College showed off various clothing in front of an audience of 500.

Hailing from different nationalities, each model showcased themselves to the audience with contagious smiles.

Cheers were loud. It was important for each model to secure support, as the rewards were worth their time.

UM’s own Carmen Wilson was voted top model and received a photoshoot contract with the event’s main sponsors, Verbena Vision Photography, an Apple watch and a ticket to Orlando Universal Studios.

(From left to right) Third place Wang Zi Wen, Miss Universe China 2014 Hu Yan Liang, first place Carmen Wilson and second place Shakira Molet pose together after the competition. Marcus Lim // Contributing Photographer

“I feel overwhelmed with excitement,” Wilson, a media management major, said. “I had absolutely no idea I would win, and I did not expect it at all.”

Living in different parts of Asia for 14 years, Wilson loves Chinese culture and was ecstatic to be given the chance to be part of the event.

The competition had fans voting for the models through two mediums. In the days leading up to the event, fans voted for the models using social media. Once the models presented themselves on stage, the audience placed live votes in a ballot box.

Yanliang Hu, Miss Universe China 2014,  flew from China to Miami on Friday to help prepare the models and see the event.

The Beijing-born model was delighted to see her culture being fused with her hobby of pageantry in the United States and was heavily involved in helping the models shine for their moment on stage.

“Every girl can grow up from this journey,” Hu said. “I use to join a lot of pageants and I always become much better from each one. They can learn from every event and it will help them in the future.”

Bolstered by electrifying performances from that included UM student Zi Han’s rendition of “Sugar” by Maroon 5, the audience was kept thoroughly entertained the entire night.

Collectively planned by the Chinese School and Scholar Associations (CSSA) of the University of Miami and Florida International University and Verbena Vision Photography, the event had been planned since May.

“We hope this could be an annual event,” President of UM’s CSSA Joy Zhuoying Lin said. “This year we showcase the Chinese culture, hopefully in the next years we will be more diverse and show other cultures. Our university is diverse, so we can hopefully see others in the future.”

Hailing from different nationalities, IGNITE models showcase themselves to the audience with contagious smiles during Sunday's pageant. Alisha Kabir // Contributing Photographer

Hailing from different nationalities, IGNITE models showcase themselves to the audience with contagious smiles during Sunday’s pageant. Alisha Kabir // Contributing Photographer

IGNITE models line up for their closing bow Sunday night at Gusman Hall. Alisha Kabir // Contributing Photographer

UM’s Carmen Wilson receives her ticket to Orlando Universal Studios for winning Top Model. Alisha Kabir // Contributing Photographer

Marcus Lim

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Ignite Model Competition brings Chinese culture, clothing to Frost”

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...