Campus Life, News

Toppel Career Expo connects students with work, internship opportunities

Freshman Diaya Tulshi speaks to a representative from Lennar, a home development company which focuses on multigenerational living, at the Career Expo Friday afternoon. Kawan Amelung // Contributing Photographer

More than 900 students met more than 370 recruiters at the BankUnited Center this past Friday at the Career Expo and Graduate School Fair hosted by Toppel Career Center. Each semester, the event connects UM students and alumni with local and national employers and graduate schools.

Employers from a variety of industries attended the event, recruiting students of all majors for full-time and part-time jobs and internships in many areas including business, healthcare, government, science and technology. This included successful and well-known companies such as Visa Inc., H&M, Geico and Dannon.

Many students were offered follow-up interviews on the spot, including sophomore Sophie Schumer, who was offered an interview this coming week for a position as account manager with Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance and Financial Services.

A representative from Target, Igor Luque, said that recruiting at college levels “takes priority for [them],” and that the company spends a lot of time recruiting at universities for positions in executive team leadership and store management. He added that he personally knows UM alumni who work for Target.

One UM alum, Omri Saadi, was recruiting this year after getting a full-time position through last spring’s Career Expo. Saadi, who now works for Lennar Corporation after graduating in spring 2015, met a supervisor at the last career fair. He followed up with two rounds of interviews and is now a full-time employee.

“I am starting in an 18-month rotational program, which is basically a full-time training period, and will then move up the ranks with time,” Saadi said.

All attendees wore professional business attire and brought multiple copies of their resume. Everyone was provided with a map of the fair floor plan that showed the locations of each organization. The tables were grouped in sections of general employers, graduate programs and science, technology, engineering and math programs. All of the recruiters were accessible, and some would approach students themselves.

Toppel provided tote bags so that students could collect the informational pamphlets and souvenirs that the companies gave out.

The event was months in the making, and the specific date was set in April. The career center sent out lists of participating companies and organizations to alumni and students via email, giving attendees plenty of time to conduct research and prepare.

Toppel is currently celebrating its 20th anniversary, commemorating two decades of helping students seek and pursue jobs and internships. The center provides career advising, resume critiques and company information sessions.

Madeline Kaufman

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...