Crime and Safety, News

Bus vandalized in parking lot, perpetrator still unknown

On September 6th, an office bus owned by Academy Bus, LLC was broken into and vandalized in the Metrorail parking lot on Ponce de Leon Boulevard. The violaters have not yet been identified. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

On Sept. 6, an office bus owned by Academy Bus, LLC was broken into and vandalized in the Metrorail parking lot on Ponce de Leon Boulevard. The violator has not yet been identified. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

An unidentified individual entered, ransacked and vandalized a bus that was parked in the Green Parking Lot under the Metrorail on Ponce de Leon Blvd. in the early hours of Sunday, Sept. 6. The shuttle bus is owned by Academy Bus LLC, a transportation service that the University of Miami uses.

According to a police report from the University of Miami Police Department (UMPD), the bus – which is used as an office – was parked under the Metrorail around 2 a.m. for overnight storage after UM’s first football game.

Between the time it was parked and 4 p.m. Sunday, it was broken into and ransacked. The perpetrator took the keys to another bus from the lock box and used them to enter the second bus.

Bus Surveillance UMPD

Surveillance photo courtesy UMPD

In the second bus (#13009), the perpetrator knocked down a GPS device and security camera. UMPD reviewed video surveillance from the bus and has released a campus community information flyer in hopes of identifying the intruder. UMPD has not confirmed whether or not he is a UM student.

There were no damages to the interior of the office bus, according to the police report. The keys were recovered from the driver’s seat in bus #13009. The virtually harmless nature of the crime led one Academy Bus employee, who has chosen to remain anonymous, to believe it was the result of a prank or drunken misbehavior.

The bus used as an office contained several items of greater value, such as a television and a fax machine. Those, the employee noted, could have been stolen and sold but they were not.

“You can normally tell … They will usually destroy things, they will usually steal things. Nothing was destroyed and nothing was stolen. It was just vandalism,” he said.

According to the employee, the office bus should have been locked overnight. However, the bus is old and could easily have been broken into, even if it was locked.

“That bus is so old, it wouldn’t take much to get that lock unlocked,” he said.

This case is still under investigation by UMPD.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...