Golf, Sports

Women’s golf performs strongly in first tournament

The Hurricanes golf team started the fall 2015-16 season off strong with an eighth place finish at the 37th annual 2015 Dick McGuire Invitational held on Monday and Tuesday in Albuquerque, N.M..

The Hurricanes opened the 54-hole tournament against 17 other teams with a total score of 11-over-par on 595 shots through two rounds on Monday at the par 73, 6, 315-yard UNM Championship Golf Course.

The UNM Championship Course, known as one of the top 25 public golf courses in the country according to Golf Digest Magazine, is full of dangerous holes that can ruin a round.

“The course was a bit tricky, but the girls handled it well,” head coach Patti Rizzo said to HurricaneSports.com.

Junior Delfina Acosta, who posted three top 10 finishes last season, started off slow with a round one 75, but came back strong later in the day with an impressive score of 66 in the second round. She managed a whopping eight birdies in that round, putting her in second place at five-under-par.

Fellow junior Daniela Darquea, who recorded four top 10 finishes last season, was no slouch either. She started on the right foot, opening the tournament with a round one 70. Although slowing down a bit and posting a 75 in round two, she placed in the top 15 at one-under-par.

The team continued its solid play on Tuesday. Darquea finished tied for third thanks to a 68 in the final round to put her at six-under-par for the tournament. Acosta didn’t make as many birdies as she probably would have hoped for in her final round of 74, but she still tied for eighth at four-under-par.

Another bright spot for the Canes was freshman Dewi Weber, who completed her final round with a bang by posting a 68. This brought her overall score to one-under-par, which left her tied for 18th place.

The Canes finished the three-round tournament with an overall score of seven-under-par on 883 shots.

Miami’s next tournament is the Jim West Challenge in San Antonio, Texas on Oct. 4-6.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached at @isaiah_km.

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

RSS Error: WP HTTP Error: cURL error 56: Failure when receiving data from the peer