Golf, Sports

Women’s golf performs strongly in first tournament

The Hurricanes golf team started the fall 2015-16 season off strong with an eighth place finish at the 37th annual 2015 Dick McGuire Invitational held on Monday and Tuesday in Albuquerque, N.M..

The Hurricanes opened the 54-hole tournament against 17 other teams with a total score of 11-over-par on 595 shots through two rounds on Monday at the par 73, 6, 315-yard UNM Championship Golf Course.

The UNM Championship Course, known as one of the top 25 public golf courses in the country according to Golf Digest Magazine, is full of dangerous holes that can ruin a round.

“The course was a bit tricky, but the girls handled it well,” head coach Patti Rizzo said to HurricaneSports.com.

Junior Delfina Acosta, who posted three top 10 finishes last season, started off slow with a round one 75, but came back strong later in the day with an impressive score of 66 in the second round. She managed a whopping eight birdies in that round, putting her in second place at five-under-par.

Fellow junior Daniela Darquea, who recorded four top 10 finishes last season, was no slouch either. She started on the right foot, opening the tournament with a round one 70. Although slowing down a bit and posting a 75 in round two, she placed in the top 15 at one-under-par.

The team continued its solid play on Tuesday. Darquea finished tied for third thanks to a 68 in the final round to put her at six-under-par for the tournament. Acosta didn’t make as many birdies as she probably would have hoped for in her final round of 74, but she still tied for eighth at four-under-par.

Another bright spot for the Canes was freshman Dewi Weber, who completed her final round with a bang by posting a 68. This brought her overall score to one-under-par, which left her tied for 18th place.

The Canes finished the three-round tournament with an overall score of seven-under-par on 883 shots.

Miami’s next tournament is the Jim West Challenge in San Antonio, Texas on Oct. 4-6.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...