Golf, Sports

Women’s golf performs strongly in first tournament

The Hurricanes golf team started the fall 2015-16 season off strong with an eighth place finish at the 37th annual 2015 Dick McGuire Invitational held on Monday and Tuesday in Albuquerque, N.M..

The Hurricanes opened the 54-hole tournament against 17 other teams with a total score of 11-over-par on 595 shots through two rounds on Monday at the par 73, 6, 315-yard UNM Championship Golf Course.

The UNM Championship Course, known as one of the top 25 public golf courses in the country according to Golf Digest Magazine, is full of dangerous holes that can ruin a round.

“The course was a bit tricky, but the girls handled it well,” head coach Patti Rizzo said to HurricaneSports.com.

Junior Delfina Acosta, who posted three top 10 finishes last season, started off slow with a round one 75, but came back strong later in the day with an impressive score of 66 in the second round. She managed a whopping eight birdies in that round, putting her in second place at five-under-par.

Fellow junior Daniela Darquea, who recorded four top 10 finishes last season, was no slouch either. She started on the right foot, opening the tournament with a round one 70. Although slowing down a bit and posting a 75 in round two, she placed in the top 15 at one-under-par.

The team continued its solid play on Tuesday. Darquea finished tied for third thanks to a 68 in the final round to put her at six-under-par for the tournament. Acosta didn’t make as many birdies as she probably would have hoped for in her final round of 74, but she still tied for eighth at four-under-par.

Another bright spot for the Canes was freshman Dewi Weber, who completed her final round with a bang by posting a 68. This brought her overall score to one-under-par, which left her tied for 18th place.

The Canes finished the three-round tournament with an overall score of seven-under-par on 883 shots.

Miami’s next tournament is the Jim West Challenge in San Antonio, Texas on Oct. 4-6.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...