Administration, Finance, News

Athletic Director Blake James discusses Adidas, break with Nike

The University of Miami is still transitioning into becoming an Adidas-sponsored school after being with Nike for 27 years, having officially begun their new licensing agreement on Sept. 1.

Wednesday night Athletic Director Blake James met with USport, an organization for students who want futures in the sports industry, to explain the process of negotiating and deciding on the new deal that will last 12 years.

About a year and a half ago, UM informed Nike with the decision to see what other brands would offer Miami, with the hopes of remaining with the brand despite exploring the market.

“I didn’t think Nike was treating us at the level that we deserved to be treated,” James said. “One of my frustrations with Nike was they do a great job of promoting their brand, but outside of the University of Oregon, they don’t.”

As a result, the Athletics Department met with Adidas and Under Armour Factory House in November of 2014 within a span of two days and returned to Nike to give them the opportunity to also make a bid. Although Nike offered an increase in money and products for the student-athletes, the other two companies offered much more-with ESPN reporting in January that it was worth “multiple times more” than the previous.

Between Adidas and Under Armour, Adidas “significantly separated itself from Under Armour from a cash perspective, a product perspective and a partnership perspective,” James said. “The decision became easy.”

The announcement gained national news; the 27-year partnership lasted through the rise of the UM football program into five-time national champions and was considered one of the first licensing agreements between a university and sports merchandise company.

The partnership with Adidas took off the day the deal was announced in January. Adidas took care of hosting a football jersey launch at LIV nightclub in July. Additionally, the corporation has also helped with on-campus facilities such as the brand new nutrition center.

“The thing that makes me feel really good about it was that Adidas wants to rebrand here in the United States,” James said. “They told us ‘we’re going to focus on strengthening our brand by strengthening your brand.’”

So far, the student-athletes have given James positive feedback since the deal. The fan base, however, was concerned and upset when it was first announced, but James is “confident we can still win and recruit with our product and we put ourselves in a good position.”

Their decision, according to James, was based on finding what was best for the student-athletes, for the most amount of money, with the best partnership.

Alina Zerpa

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Athletic Director Blake James discusses Adidas, break with Nike”

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...