Uncertainty in Chinese stocks shakes faith in government

The relationship between perception and reality has always been at the core of economics, and nowhere has that been more true than in China. Recent events in the markets have shown that, given enough time, reality will always ruin the fun. The Shanghai Composite fell almost 8.5 percent on Aug. 24, now known as “Black Monday,” resulting in reverberations throughout the world.

However, what is most concerning about this fall is not the actual economic damage, but how this event has shaken faith in the Chinese government.

The tumble shouldn’t have come as a surprise. The Shanghai Composite index, the sum value of companies on the exchange, has been falling steadily over the past few months, from a peak at above 5,000 to below 3,000.

The significance of this drop is ultimately uncertain. Months beforehand, people had been calling the exchange overvalued. Its dropping in value may just mean a return to reason. If so, the reactions around the world have been anything but reasonable.

On paper, this change seems inconsequential. The Shanghai Composite has made quick recoveries, as have most other markets, though the position of the exchange is still precarious. On Tuesday, the composite closed after a 3.55 percent fall, only to close on Wednesday with a 4.9 percent spike.

Perhaps the most important response to these events is that of the Chinese government. In a misguided attempt to save the exchange, they enacted policies such as ordering share buybacks to hold the price up.

These actions are by no means unprecedented, even in more established markets. For example, the American government purchased shares of car companies in the 2008 recession. However, what sets the Chinese response apart is the speed at which they chose to do so, signaling that the government had not fully thought out their actions.

Ultimately, these events have marked an important turning point in terms of perception: all faith in the Chinese government’s ability to control its economy, let alone the stock exchange, has evaporated. If the government is willing to interfere with the market, it will be difficult for investors to justify placing their money there.

China is presented with two choices. Neither of these choices is particularly compelling: either they abandon their attempts to control the economy, or they double down in an attempt to save face. This, coupled with the slowing GDP growth, present Chinese leaders with their first major economic challenges in a while.

Whether they are able to navigate successfully remains to be seen.

Andrew Langen is a junior majoring in economics and math.

Andrew Langen

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...