Campus Life, News

News Briefs 9/17: Mayor’s Budget, GOP Debate Watch Party, Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership

Mayor’s Budget

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos A. Giménez proposed his budget for the 2015-16 fiscal year in a memorandum dated for consideration on Thursday. In the memorandum, UM is allocated $146,712 in proposed funding;  $94,500 is for multidimensional family therapy for juvenile offenders, $28,114 is for home based parenting services for strengthening at risk families and $24,098 is for preventing abuse through responsive parenting.

Memebers of UM's College Republicans watch at the Rathskeller as the second GOP debate begins Wednesday evening. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Memebers of UM’s College Republicans watch at the Rathskeller as the second GOP debate begins Wednesday evening. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

GOP Debate Watch Party 

The University of Miami College Republicans hosted a watch party at the Rathskeller for the second Republican Party debate, hosted by CNN at the Reagan Presidential Library in Washington, D.C. Donald Trump, Rand Paul, Mike Huckabee, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Dr. Ben Carson, Jeb Bush, Scott Walker, Carly Fiorina, John Kasich and Chris Christie participated in the debate. Donald Trump and Dr. Ben Carson entered the debate first and second, respectively, in recent polling.

Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership

The window to nominate new members for the Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership Honor Society closes Friday at 5 p.m. The society is one of the oldest on campus and accepts exemplary students, faculty and alumni. Nominations can be submitted online on the ODK OrgSync page.

William Riggin

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...