Campus Life, News, Uncategorized

Family weekend events feature classes, speaker Lythcott-Haims

Mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters of University of Miami students will become honorary Canes on Friday for Family Weekend. The weekend is hosted by the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement (DOCSI) and will have a full schedule of workshops, model classes, resource presentations and feature keynote speaker Julie Lythcott-Haims.

Family Weekend was originally Parents Day when it started in 1987. Then it expanded to become Parents Weekend and, finally, to include the whole family. The university hosts the weekend about a month into the fall semester every year.

“It gives families an opportunity to reconnect with their student and with the larger University of Miami community,” said Aysha Daniels, director of orientation and commuter student involvement.

All classes, meetings and workshops are scheduled for Friday, so families can take the rest of the weekend to explore the U and the rest of Miami.

julielythcotthaims

Lythcott-Haims

Each year, DOCSI invites a keynote speaker to spur conversation among families. Author Lythcott-Haims will be discussing parenting, using principles from her book “How To Raise An Adult” Friday at 3:15 p.m.. In her book, she emphasizes how important allowing children to make their own mistakes is toward their development into adults.

Interest sessions will allow families to learn more about the university, while model classes give them a chance to experience life as a student at UM. Classes range from biology to religious studies to architecture.

President Julio Frenk’s first pep rally and barbecue will kick off Friday night at 6 p.m.. There will be barbecued food, a performance by the Band of the Hour and Hurricane cheerleaders, an appearance by Sebastian the Ibis and remarks from President Frenk.

On Saturday, families are invited to attend the football game against the Nebraska Cornhuskers at 3:30 p.m. and a screening of “Furious 7” at 9:30 p.m. at Cosford Cinema.

For more information on Family Weekend, visit miami.edu/family-weekend.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...