Football, Sports

Miami Hurricanes linebacker Darrion Owens out for the season

Sophomore linebacker Darrion Owens will miss the rest of the season with a right knee injury, coach Al Golden announced Sunday night.

Owens injured his knee early in Friday’s game against Florida Atlantic. Golden did not specify Owens’ injury, but did say the Orange Park native will undergo surgery in the next 10 days.

“One of our hardest workers. We feel badly for him, but we have some guys that have to step up,” Golden said on a conference call Sunday night. “We have to have a next man up mentality and get that situated by the time we go back to work Tuesday.”

The 6-foot-3, 247-pound linebacker out of Oakleaf High School was a crucial member of the Canes’ defense. Owens played mostly as an outside linebacker but was capable of filling in at multiple positions on the defense. Senior linebacker Tyriq McCord will likely take his place in the starting lineup.

On a more positive note for the Canes, receivers Braxton Berrios and Stacy Coley as well as linebacker Juwon Young will return to practice this week and could play in Saturday’s game against Nebraska.

The Canes take on Nebraska at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.

Feature photo courtesy of HurricaneSports.com.

Mark Singer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...