Football, Sports

Miami Hurricanes linebacker Darrion Owens out for the season

Sophomore linebacker Darrion Owens will miss the rest of the season with a right knee injury, coach Al Golden announced Sunday night.

Owens injured his knee early in Friday’s game against Florida Atlantic. Golden did not specify Owens’ injury, but did say the Orange Park native will undergo surgery in the next 10 days.

“One of our hardest workers. We feel badly for him, but we have some guys that have to step up,” Golden said on a conference call Sunday night. “We have to have a next man up mentality and get that situated by the time we go back to work Tuesday.”

The 6-foot-3, 247-pound linebacker out of Oakleaf High School was a crucial member of the Canes’ defense. Owens played mostly as an outside linebacker but was capable of filling in at multiple positions on the defense. Senior linebacker Tyriq McCord will likely take his place in the starting lineup.

On a more positive note for the Canes, receivers Braxton Berrios and Stacy Coley as well as linebacker Juwon Young will return to practice this week and could play in Saturday’s game against Nebraska.

The Canes take on Nebraska at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.

Feature photo courtesy of HurricaneSports.com.

Mark Singer

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...