Edge, Fashion

A guide to dressing professionally with style

While it’s important to follow the basic rules of dressing for an interview, internship or job, dress codes can get confusing. What exactly is “business casual?” Are jeans appropriate for work? Understanding these concepts can help avoid an office blunder, so check out this guide to dressing both stylishly and professionally.

Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 7.49.49 AM

Casual Friday

Casual Friday is an opportunity to incorporate louder colors and patterns, casual silhouettes and denim into your office wardrobe. Keep it professional with a dark-wash, straight-leg jean and button-down shirt. Add a bright sweater and ankle boots for personal flair.

Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 7.28.11 AM

Smart Casual

For a more formal look, swap the jeans for patterned trousers. A chiffon blouse in a neutral color and pointed-toe flats make this outfit office appropriate. Accessorize with subtle colors like maroon and forest green.

Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 8.23.23 AM

Business Casual

Trousers, knee-length skirts and blazers are business casual standard. Shoes should be simple and sophisticated, like these suede flats. A little color-play is appropriate – jacket, blouse and bottoms don’t need to match. Finish the look with beige nails and a structured purse.

Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 8.01.55 AM

Business Professional

A business professional outfit should be classic and monochromatic. Pair a matching black suit with a white button down. Wear heels, but make sure they are low and easy to walk in. Accessorize subtly with a watch, bag and minimalistic earrings.

Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 8.47.15 AM (1)

Cocktail Party

Dress appropriately chic in this high-neck, knee-length shift. Add a loud patterned heel and dark lip for interest. Don’t over-accessorize. A simple clutch, watch and pair of earrings is all you need to pull this look together.

Haley Walker

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...