Community, News

Miami-Dade Police Department investigates apparent suicide at Gables Ponce apartments

A Miami Dade Police Department investigation is underway into an apparent suicide that occurred this morning at Gables Ponce apartments at 4557 Ponce De Leon Blvd in Coral Gables. Police notified the University of Miami’s administration that it was not a UM student, according to Margot Winick, UM assistant vice president of Media Relations. The apartments have become a popular off-campus housing option for UM students since it opened in July of 2013.

Witness Nick Carra, a senior broadcast journalism major at UM, said that the victim appeared to be a male who was “18 or 19,” and that the incident happened around 10:30 a.m.

“I was at my girlfriend’s apartment and someone was out on the balcony and they said, ‘Oh my god, is this real?’ I went out and saw the cops downstairs and a body bag, so I thought someone had died. Then I saw the body hanging from a sixth floor balcony. It dropped down to the fifth,” where Carra said the body stayed. “It was scarring. It’s something I can never unsee.”

Winick added that the university reminds all students that the counseling center on campus is open for anyone seeking help. The counseling center can be reached at 305-284-5511.

According to Emory University, the suicide rate is between 0.5 and 7.5 per 100,000 among college students, and there are more than 1,000 suicides on college campuses per year.

William Riggin

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

5 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Miami-Dade Police Department investigates apparent suicide at Gables Ponce apartments”

1. Liz says:

if this article had any positive intent it would include it is suicide prevention week and how the university was planning to support this cause.

2. GoCanes says:

Allison,

There is no need to take this article down. It’s news. TMH is a news source. As mentioned in the article, Gables Ponce is inhabited by many UM students, so this news is in fact relevant to plenty of UM students.

More importantly, however, censoring the fact that suicide is occurring at increasingly alarming rates is not going to help anybody recognize and then combat the tragic, growing problem. I fail to see how this article is disrespectful to anybody, as it is merely an objective reporting of a very sad situation.

3. Allison Carpio says:

How about we take this article down? If he wasn’t a UM student why post an article on the UM website? This situation is non of the universities concern and is showing a lack of respect to those who are grieving over his loss. It’s completely inappropriate.

4. N/A says:

He also spent two years as a student of the univeristy of miami.

5. N/a says:

This article is very very wrong. The victims gf is my best friend. He was 22 years old. The age was wrong in the article. This is terrible.

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...