Football, Sports

Canes receivers Stacy Coley, Braxton Berrios to miss game at FAU

The Hurricanes’ 2015 season opener against Bethune-Cookman was a resounding success, but it came at a steep price.

On Wednesday afternoon, head coach Al Golden ruled wide receivers Stacy Coley and Braxton Berrios out for Friday’s matchup with Florida Atlantic (FAU).

In the first quarter of last Saturday’s 45-0 victory, Coley limped off the field with a left hamstring injury following an awkward hit. Just a few plays later, Berrios followed him into the locker room after injuring his left knee on an attempted catch over the middle.

With the loss of the two playmakers, the Canes turned to Rashawn Scott as the No. 1 wide receiver option. After missing the entire 2014 season with a shoulder injury, the redshirt senior had six catches for 100 yards and a touchdown in the opener.

Despite Scott’s monster game, no other receiver caught more than two passes against Bethune-Cookman. In a hostile environment against a much tougher team Friday night, Miami (1-0) will need all hands on deck to get the victory.

“It’s a next man up mentality,” offensive coordinator James Coley said about the mindset of his wide receiver core. “We’ve got a lot of guys that came into training camp that worked really hard to give themselves a chance to play. We’re looking for Tyre [Brady] to step up, [Lawrence] Cager to come in there and play well and Darrell Langham has to perform too.”

Players such as Brady, Cager and Langham, who haven’t caught a pass in college football, will be thrown into the fire and expected to make big contributions Friday night. With that uncertainty being inserted into the rotation, even more pressure will be heaped on the shoulders of sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya.

Losing Coley and Berrios is a bit unsettling, but if the Canes watched tape on FAU from last weekend, they’ll have some confidence heading into the game. In their season opener, the Owls allowed 618 total yards and 47 points against Tulsa, a team that finished 2-10 last season.

While the Canes are struggling to find healthy receivers, this FAU (0-1) defense may have a hard time stopping anyone.

The Hurricanes definitely paid a price for the 45-0 win against Bethune-Cookman. The team’s just hoping that price doesn’t result in a loss Friday night in Boca Raton.

Austin Sapin

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...