Community, Crime and Safety, News

Families awarded damages after death of students Ying Chen, Hao Liu

On Tuesday a jury awarded $8.6 million in damages to the families of two international students from China who were attending UM when they were struck and killed by a car on Oct. 16, 2013.

Ying Chen and Hao Liu were crossing Kendall Drive and Southwest 68th Court in Pinecrest on the way back to their apartment when Milady Pequeno struck the students with her Porsche. In 2014, Pequeno was found guilty of careless driving and had her license suspended for two years.

“Even though there are verdicts, the charges are fair and just, the family is kind of upset because their two young lives have gone and their children will never come back,” family-friend Kai Zang said, according to WSVN.com.

Featured Image courtesy www.wsvn.com

William Riggin

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...