Campus Life, News

Fresh Fusion solution for those with dietary restrictions

Recently opened Fresh Fusion Restaurant offers a selection of vegetarian meals, served in an Asian or Mediterrenean style. Located next to the Jamba Juice in the Shalala Student Center, Fresh Fusion is open from 11am-6pm Monday to Thursday and until 5pm on Fridays. Alisha Kabir // Contributing Photographer

While some students mourned the loss of Made to Order — lovingly known as M2O — upon return to campus, others celebrated the addition of Fresh Fusion, a flavorful vegetarian restaurant that opened in its place, located next to Jamba Juice in the Donna E. Shalala Student Center.

Fusion’s menu is different from other dining on campus because of the combination of international flavors with western staples. The naan salads come with mixed greens and toppings served over a warm piece of naan bread, a savory flatbread of Asian origin.

The Chana Masala bowl is another popular option, according to a suggestion by a Fusion employee. A bed of hot brown rice and quinoa is topped with a sofrito-style blend of chickpeas, tomatoes, ginger and spices. Fusion also serves ramen noodle bowls with miso and vegetable broth, daily bisques, mac and cheese and even mozzarella, cheddar and american, pepper jack or brie grilled cheese.

Prices range from $3.99 for a bowl of the soup of the day to $5.99 for the naan salad, making it one of the less expensive dining options on campus.

“It was great food,” said Kyle Kennedy, a fifth-year student and pescetarian who tried the ramen noodle bowl for the first time. “I wish it was a little more food but other than that, it was delicious.”

Fusion’s flavorful meals appeal to health-conscious students, but are also vegetarian and kosher-friendly. In recent years, UM has improved and expanded dining options for dietary restrictions. Jamba Juice, Sushi Maki, Lime, Starbucks and Tossed all have options that are free of animal products.

Although Fusion is not certified as kosher, Jewish students who maintain a less strict kosher diet (those who do not eat meat products or shellfish and do not avoid cross-contamination between products) can eat most of the options.

“Because keeping kosher means being strict about meat, most kosher individuals on campus probably follow a vegetarian diet,” said Ellie Goldenberg, a Jewish musical theatre student who ate a kosher diet until starting at the university three years ago.

According to University of Miami Dining Services, there are no strictly vegetarian or kosher meal plans available, but students may choose from dining options that suit their dietary needs. The new deli inside Outtakes market is completely kosher. Also, there will be a kosher cafe inside the Braman Miller Center for Jewish Student Life, which broke ground in October 2014 and is currently under construction.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Fresh Fusion solution for those with dietary restrictions”

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...