Sports, Swimming/Diving

Hurricanes divers David Dinsmore, Briadam Herrera win national titles

The future is looking bright for coach Randy Ableman’s diving team this season as two of his underclassman divers, freshman David Dinsmore and sophomore Briadam Herrera, won national titles at the 2015 AT&T National Diving Championships held in Orlando, Florida in August.

Dinsmore, who represented the United States at the FINA World Championships in Kazan, Russia in July, won the men’s 10-meter platform event with 422.15 points. He was in a tight race for the gold with diver Zach Cooper, but Dinsmore came out on top in the final round, winning by 15.85 points.

“It came down to the last dive, and that’s what makes a great contest,” Dinsmore said to HurricaneSports.com. “It was a little tough for me coming back from worlds – you’re on such a high and then you’ve got to get ready for nationals a week later.”

Like Dinsmore, Herrera also had a busy summer: he won bronze in the men’s 1-meter at the 2015 World University Games in Gwangju, South Korea in July. The Cuban native finished the AT&T Championships with 435 points in the 1-meter, outscoring second place finisher Aaron Fleshner by 60.85 points.

“I thought I did really well. My dives felt good, and I thought I was powerful. Everything went right,” Herrera said to HurricaneSports.com.

The young talents are important assets to the team this season, especially after the departure of national champion and 2014-15 male student-athlete of the year, Sam Dorman. Coach Ableman expects to see great things from Dinsmore and Herrera this year.

Ableman said to HurricaneSports.com that Dinsmore “should be one of the best in college diving in the 10-meter as a freshman.” Of Herrera, Ableman said, “I’m hungry for him to continue and make another step in his sophomore year.”

The Canes’ season starts on Sept. 18 at the All-Florida Invite in Gainesville, Florida.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Rachel Cox-Rosen

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...