Football, Sports

Al-Quadin Muhammad suspended for season opener against Bethune-Cookman

According to reports, redshirt sophomore Al-Quadin Muhammad is suspended for Miami’s season opener against Bethune-Cookman on Saturday.

The 6-foot-3, 256-pound defensive lineman from New Jersey was suspended for the entire 2014 season after punching a student following the team’s spring game last April.

Coach Al Golden said Wednesday that no players were suspended for the game Saturday. “Right now, we expect to have everyone,” he said.

Muhammad will miss the game for violating team rules, although it is not clear what the rush end did to warrant the suspension. He is expected to play in the team’s second game against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 11.

The highly touted athlete out of high school powerhouse Don Bosco had a strong preseason camp over the summer and was one of the favorites to start on the defensive line. Sophomore Trent Harris won the starting job, but Muhammad should see plenty of action for the team this year.

Muhammad played in 13 games for the Hurricanes in 2013 as a freshman, recording eight tackles and two sacks.

Mark Singer

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...