Campus Life, LGBT, News

UPDATED: University of Miami launches website with LGBT resources

UPDATE, 2:25 p.m., Sept. 3, 2015: This story originally stated that the university’s LGBT website was launched following a letter to President Julio Frenk from an alumnus. The website was in fact launched this summer, prior to the letter and the Miami Hurricane’s story. This post will be updated with the correct launch date of the website as soon as possible. 

Five days after The Miami Hurricane published a story about a University of Miami alumnus’s letter outlining complaints over the school’s LGBT resources and policies to the school’s President Julio Frenk, the school has launched a new area of its website for LGBT resources and information.

According to a press release in the University’s e-veritas newsletter from Aug. 27, the website features “information on programs, events, and campus resources for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (LGBTQ) students.” The site includes a link to the IBIS (I Believe In Solidarity) Ally Network, a “group of UM faculty, staff, and students who completed an intensive training session on ways to help LGBTQ students thrive on campus.” The website is the first of its kind at the school.

In addition to the ally network, the website contains sections for the school’s LGBT student organizations, a list of LGBT programs and events, LGBT campus resources and a LGBT campus news section that has links to two LGBT-related stories from the university and one from The Miami Hurricane.

The alumnus, Ryan Aquilina, who wrote the letter to which President Frenk responded last week said the website was a “good thing to finally have,” but the school still has much to do.  He added that the website still does not offer any professional LGBT resources.

“A website in and of itself is not progress,” he said. “But it will help the community hold UM accountable to real progress… It’s something everyone can access to see if real progress has been made or not. ”

UPride President Jeremy Penn believes the websites launch is a positive step, although more progress is still needed.

“While there’s definitely room for improvement with regards to both the LGBTQ+ resources on campus and their visibility via this new site, it’s definitely a good first step in the right direction.”
Featured image courtesy UMiami Student Life

William Riggin

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...