Football, Sports

Injuries slow down Duke Johnson’s pro career at Cleveland Browns

Duke Johnson smiles at an assistant coach during his streatches before the game. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Duke Johnson smiles at an assistant coach during his stretches before the game. File Photo // The Miami Hurricane

Duke Johnson is having a rough start to his professional career.

The Cleveland Browns selected Miami’s all-time leading rusher in the third round of the NFL draft last May. The former Cane suffered a concussion in the Browns’ preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Saturday.

Cornerback Mike Jenkins blasted Johnson while he was in the air trying to catch a pass in the second quarter. Johnson has been ruled out for Cleveland’s final preseason game against the Chicago Bears on Thursday. Browns coach Mike Pettine hasn’t said how long Johnson will be out for the team.

The concussion on Saturday is just the latest setback for Johnson. The Miami Norland Senior High School graduate missed the previous three weeks of training camp with a strained hamstring. If Johnson can stay healthy, the Browns would like him to be their starting running back.

Staying on the field wasn’t a problem for Johnson in college. The 5-foot-9, 207-pound running back played in all 13 games for the Hurricanes last season and in all 12 games as a freshman. A fractured ankle against Florida State memorably ended Johnson’s sophomore season after eight games, but he recovered to rush for 1,652 yards on 242 carries as a junior.

Johnson is the Hurricanes’ all-time leading rusher with 3,519 yards on the ground.

Mark Singer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...