Football, Sports

Junior running back Gus Edwards out for the season

Junior running back Gus Edwards is out for the season with a left foot injury, Miami announced late Sunday night with the release of the week one depth chart.

“Gus worked extremely hard for the last nine months to prepare for this moment,” head coach Al Golden said in a statement. “He set a high standard and did a great job leading and being unselfish. We are tremendously disappointed for him, but we will be there with him on the road to recovery and anxiously await his return.”
Edwards suffered the injury during preseason camp. The third-year missed two practices last week after the team’s final scrimmage of the camp. The team initially believed Edwards had a bruise on the top of his foot that would heal after some treatment, but unfortunately, that is not the case for 6-foot-2, 241-pound native of Staten Island.

Edwards was Miami’s third leading rusher last season with 349 yards on the ground, averaging 5.7 yards a carry.

Miami did not list a starting running back for the week one game against Bethune-Cookman. Sophomore Joseph Yearby and freshman Mark Walton are potential starters, with sophomore Trayone Gray behind them.

Mark Singer