Opinion, Satire

Tropical storm Erika disappoints campus by ditching at last minute

Many students were disappointed this weekend after planning a welcoming party for tropical storm Erika only to have the guest of honor flake out.

Earlier this weekend, students around campus were preparing to throw a “huge hurricane rager,” as the Facebook event stated.

“Yeah, it’s going to be a blast,” said one senior as he stocked up on bottled water and Corona at Publix on Friday afternoon.  “You should totally come; it’s BYOEF, bring your own emergency flashlight.”

However, after all the preparations had been made for her landing, Erika reportedly tweeted that she was skipping town: “Tired out already, headed straight for the gulf tmrw for some major R&R.”

“That’s a really crappy thing to do,” one would-be partygoer said. “Like, have some decency to at least show up, or give us some notice ahead of time. Now I have to return all this SPAM that I got for the party.”

Glum students were seen opening their hurricane shutters and rolling up the large red carpet that had been laid out for the guest of honor on Sunday.

Jackie Yang is a sophomore majoring in neuroscience and English. The events and characters described in this work may be fictitious. Any resemblance to real entities is purely coincidental.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user WikiImages

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...