Opinion, Satire

Tropical storm Erika disappoints campus by ditching at last minute

Many students were disappointed this weekend after planning a welcoming party for tropical storm Erika only to have the guest of honor flake out.

Earlier this weekend, students around campus were preparing to throw a “huge hurricane rager,” as the Facebook event stated.

“Yeah, it’s going to be a blast,” said one senior as he stocked up on bottled water and Corona at Publix on Friday afternoon.  “You should totally come; it’s BYOEF, bring your own emergency flashlight.”

However, after all the preparations had been made for her landing, Erika reportedly tweeted that she was skipping town: “Tired out already, headed straight for the gulf tmrw for some major R&R.”

“That’s a really crappy thing to do,” one would-be partygoer said. “Like, have some decency to at least show up, or give us some notice ahead of time. Now I have to return all this SPAM that I got for the party.”

Glum students were seen opening their hurricane shutters and rolling up the large red carpet that had been laid out for the guest of honor on Sunday.

Jackie Yang is a sophomore majoring in neuroscience and English. The events and characters described in this work may be fictitious. Any resemblance to real entities is purely coincidental.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user WikiImages

About Author

Jackie Yang

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...