Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

Campus prepares for tropical storm Erika

Tropical Erika's projected track as of 8pm Friday. Graphic Courtesy NOAA/NWS

Tropical Erika’s track as of 8pm Friday. Graphic Courtesy NOAA/NWS

UPDATE, Aug. 29 1:32 p.m.: The university has announced that, with the storm’s dissipation, they do not expect any closures or disruptions Sunday or Monday.

Normal operations will continue as planned Saturday at the University of Miami, with preparations for tropical storm Erika’s expected landfall on Sunday underway. The decision on potential changes to the school’s operations on Sunday and Monday will be made Saturday afternoon, after 3 p.m., by the school’s administrative leadership, according to Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely. Whitely provided further information regarding the school’s current preparation for the storm.

If there is severe weather on Sunday, the school would ask students and faculty not to come to the campus. The school’s custodial staff, which is contracted from GCA Educational Services, has already begun working with department leaders to move outdoor furniture inside campus buildings, as well as placing down sandbags to quell potential flooding problems.

Whitely added that the school would be providing additional shuttles to Sunset Place and Publix Saturday afternoon so that students can purchase any additional supplies before the storm’s potential arrival. She also said that Housing and Residential Life will conduct floor meetings in campus residential halls at 4 p.m. Saturday. Late night dining has already been cancelled for Sunday night, but will continue on its normal schedule Friday and Saturday.

Whitely urged students and faculty to monitor their email accounts for updates. The school’s emergency information hotline, 1-800-227-0354, will continue to be updated with recorded messages.

William Riggin

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...