Edge, Food

Recipes fit for college lifestyle

With the lack of an equipped kitchen, time or will, cooking good meals may seem impossible in college. However, with just a tad of imagination and three basic tools, expanding your options is less difficult than you think. Meet your new best friends: a mug, waffle maker and microwave.

Meals in mugs

Expand the functionality of a mug or cereal bowl by venturing into these simple recipes. Making something as delicious as a baked stuffed apple, a French-style cheese omelet or even okra bites doesn’t have to be impossible.

Cheese omeletteBeat two large eggs and two tablespoons of water in a mug. Add three tablespoons of easy-melting cheese and stir. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for one minute. Stir, re-cover and microwave again for two minutes. Sprinkle with herbs, if desired.

Baked stuffed appleCore an apple and cut off the top. Place it in cup and stuff with one tablespoon of raisins, one tablespoon of chopped nuts, one tablespoon of sugar and  half a teaspoon of cinnamon. Top with half a teaspoon of butter and pour two tablespoons of water around the apple. Cover and microwave for five minutes. Remove foil and add two extra minutes. It’s grandma’s classic, rediscovered.

Okra bites: Place okra, tops cut and sliced in half, in cup. Add a pinch of salt and granulated garlic. Microwave for two minutes on high. Stir, drizzle with a fourth of a teaspoon of olive oil and cook for another two minutes.

Waffle iron recipes

A waffle iron is quite the life-changing gadget. There’s more to them than just waffles – you can even book bacon and eggs with one.

Crisp bacon: Coat the waffle iron with  cooking spray and cook the bacon until it reaches the desired crisp.

Waffle hash brownsSpray cooking spray and add the frozen tots. Crisp them as desired.

Scrambled eggs: Stir eggs with cheese and other mix-ins and spread onto an oil spray-covered waffle maker.

Pizza: Spread pre-cooked pizza dough on the iron. Then add cheese, pepperoni and other toppings for pizza in seconds with no mess.

Cookies: Cook the dough until golden brown. Although these will turn out thin and square, they keep the same delicious taste that satisfies sweet cravings like no stale supermarket stash can.

Featured image by Pixabay user Artyom

Donatella Vacca

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...