Basketball, Sports

Omar Sherman transfers from Miami basketball team

Forward Omar Sherman transferred from the University of Miami, the program announced Sunday night.

The 6-foot-8 native of Duncanville, Texas is the third player from last year’s team to transfer to another school. Guards Manu Lecomte and Deandre Burnett left Miami in May for Baylor and Ole Miss, respectively.

“The Miami basketball program thanks Omar for his contributions to the team last season and we wish him the best of luck in his future,” basketball coach Jim Larrañaga said in a press release.

Sherman played in 36 games as a freshman, starting in 10 of them, and averaged 4.8 points and 2.3 rebounds in 16.5 minutes per game. The backup forward was likely to lose playing time to redshirt junior Kamari Murphy, a 6-foot-9 transfer from Oklahoma State, and to senior forward Ivan Cruz Uceda. Murphy is slated to start at the forward position alongside senior center Tonye Jekiri with Uceda as the first big man off the bench.

When he had his shot falling, Sherman provided a nice outlet on the perimeter for Miami’s slashing guards. However, Sherman struggled to keep up defensively against quicker players and failed to bring down rebounds consistently.

No reason was given for Sherman’s decision to transfer.

Feature photo courtesy Hurricane Sports

Mark Singer

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...