Basketball, Sports

Omar Sherman transfers from Miami basketball team

Forward Omar Sherman transferred from the University of Miami, the program announced Sunday night.

The 6-foot-8 native of Duncanville, Texas is the third player from last year’s team to transfer to another school. Guards Manu Lecomte and Deandre Burnett left Miami in May for Baylor and Ole Miss, respectively.

“The Miami basketball program thanks Omar for his contributions to the team last season and we wish him the best of luck in his future,” basketball coach Jim Larrañaga said in a press release.

Sherman played in 36 games as a freshman, starting in 10 of them, and averaged 4.8 points and 2.3 rebounds in 16.5 minutes per game. The backup forward was likely to lose playing time to redshirt junior Kamari Murphy, a 6-foot-9 transfer from Oklahoma State, and to senior forward Ivan Cruz Uceda. Murphy is slated to start at the forward position alongside senior center Tonye Jekiri with Uceda as the first big man off the bench.

When he had his shot falling, Sherman provided a nice outlet on the perimeter for Miami’s slashing guards. However, Sherman struggled to keep up defensively against quicker players and failed to bring down rebounds consistently.

No reason was given for Sherman’s decision to transfer.

Feature photo courtesy Hurricane Sports

Mark Singer

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...