Football, Sports

13 Miami football players on NFL teams

In the upcoming months we will see a Miami Hurricanes football team that has a lot of new faces on the football field. While our eyes will be glued to the field to see how this year’s team does, there are still other arenas where more Canes will be battling it out on the gridiron. In this past NFL offseason, 13 Hurricanes football players found new homes on professional teams, and will begin their pro careers this coming fall.

Last year’s team was loaded with pro-ready talent, and it certainly showed based on the following draft results:

Offensive Tackle, Ereck Flowers- New York Giants, 1st round, 9th overall

Wide Receiver, Phillip Dorsett- Indianapolis Colts, 1st round, 29th overall

Linebacker, Denzel Perryman- San Diego Chargers, 2nd round,

Tight End, Clive Walford- Oakland Raiders, 2nd round

Running Back, Duke Johnson- Cleveland Browns 3rd round

Offensive Guard, Jonathan Feliciano- Oakland Raiders 4th round, 128th overall

Defensive Lineman, Anthony Chickillo- Pittsburgh Steelers, 6th round, 212th overall

Ereck Flowers is going to see a lot of time on the field as he was selected to start right away at a position of need for the New York Giants.

Phillip Dorsett should have a big role in the Colts’ high-voltage offense and looks to be involved in plenty of highlights in the coming season.

Denzel Perryman is also slated to start and have a huge impact in a Chargers’ defense that could use the help. Clive Walford will be bringing an element to the Raiders that has not been seen there for a long time — a reliable starting tight end with big play potential.

The final opening day impact player and potential starter is none other than Duke Johnson for the Cleveland Browns. The Browns plan to use Johnson, Miami’s all-time leading rusher, as the starting running back, as long as he stays healthy. Johnson has battled a hamstring injury in the preseason, but he should be ready to bring his big-play potential opening day.

The draft did not end the flow of Hurricanes going into the NFL however. The following players all signed with teams after the draft, and have made their way into making rosters.

Center, Shane McDermott- Dallas Cowboys, Undrafted

Quarterback, Ryan Williams- Cincinnati Bengals- Undrafted

Linebacker, Thurston Armbrister- Jacksonville Jaguars, Undrafted

Defensive Tackle, Olsen Pierre- Chicago Bears, Undrafted

Quarterback, Jake Heaps- New York Jets, Undrafted

Cornerback, Ladarius Gunter- Green Bay Packers, Undrafted

There will be plenty of opportunities to watch Canes play on Sunday as well as Saturday.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Edward Baffa

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...