Campus Life, Multimedia, News, Video

Toppel tops off 20th anniversary with Toppelfest

Students do the “Wobble” during Toppelfest Friday evening. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

A summer’s day at the University of Miami came complete with Sebastian the Ibis doing the whip and nae nae, as the Toppel Career Center held Toppelfest on Friday.

A part of Orientation week, “Toppelfest” topped off 20 years of service for the center with a block party Friday. The event brought food, photos and a dancing Sebastian to the frenzy welcoming incoming students.

“Everyone seems to be enjoying it,” said Ben O’Brien, a junior and orientation fellow. “The shirts are really nice this year…. I remember my freshman year, and there wasn’t this much music, and it seems like a more exciting event this year.”

Students had a chance to tour the Toppel Career Center itself, going in groups and collecting goodies as they ventured. Over 1,000 students, both incoming and current, made quite a crowd at the event according to Carly Smith, Toppel’s assistant director for career education.

Freshman Caitlin Calvo learned and gained new things while at Toppelfest.

“I’m meeting a lot of new people, getting a T-shirt and also learning about all the opportunities and events Toppel hosts throughout the year,” she said.

Though the temperature felt 20 degrees too hot, Samantha Haimes, Toppel’s associate director for career readiness, thought the turnout was spectacular. She believes the crowd represents Toppel’s growth over the years.

“It’s such an exciting time for us because in 20 years, we’ve come such a long way,” Haimes said. “We’ve really evolved as a career center, really evolved as an institution, and we’re so excited to celebrate with all of our students and the rest of the UM community.”

According to Haimes, the rest of the semester promises programs that will align with students’ demands.

“We always try to plan events that students say that they want, so we’ve really heard our students throughout the past year,” she said. “We’ve listened to what companies they’re interested in and really done a lot to put on programs and events for them related to that.”

The party, along with rest of Orientation week, made freshman Eric Calero enthusiastic about his next four years at the university.

“I really feel myself getting into the UM community,” Calero said. “I feel myself going through with ease. I really think all the organizations helping us makes it that much better and that much more fun. I feel like the next four years are going to be fun.”

Sherman Hewitt

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...