Edge, Lollapalooza, Music

Indie band The Lonely Biscuits aims for the Moon, Miami

Image-1

John Paterini, Nick Byrd, Grady Wenrich and Sam Gidley (from left to right) make up the indie band The Lonely Biscuits. The group performed at Lollapalooza on Sunday. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

A wide array of musical genres are represented at Lollapalooza, and the American indie band The Lonely Biscuits attended with its mixed style of funk, soul and hip hop. Grady “Gravy” Wenrich, Sam Gidley, John Paterini and Nick Byrd first got together in college, and they’ve been jamming ever since.

The Miami Hurricane had the chance to chat with the group about its music and aspirations.

The Miami Hurricane: How would you describe your style to someone who’s never heard you play before?

Wenrich: We are alternative rock with some hip hop and some funk and some jazziness. Not actual jazz, just jazziness.

TMH: What kind of instruments do you play that contributes to your music?

Gidley: There’s drums, two guitars and bass, and two lead vocalists. Grady used to play trumpet.

Wenrich: [chuckles]I’ve never played trumpet on any of our songs, but in fifth grade band I played trumpet.

TMH: Where do you look to for inspiration in writing your music and your lyrics?

Wenrich: For music, I’d say playing with each other, jamming with each other and feeding off what they play. For lyrics, just relationships with people and friends, other music and experiences.

TMH: Are your songs about shared experiences or about individual member’s experiences?

Wenrich: A little bit of everything.

Gidley: We’re kinda in similar situations. We’re all the same age, we relate to each other, and we all link together.

TMH: Where does the name “Lonely Biscuits” come from?

Wenrich: Freshman year, we were all just joking around. Before we were serious, we were called “Grady and the Biscuits” and just playing our music in the dorm room. Then we took it a little more seriously and someone told us that we would have trouble copyrighting that name and being able to sell [merchandise]. So, we picked a new [name]and I have no idea how we picked it.

Gidley: It was just kinda random.

TMH: So you guys aren’t lonely?

Wenrich: [chuckles]No, not necessarily. Well, I mean, sometimes. Everybody gets lonely sometimes.

TMH: What advice would you give to aspiring musicians?

Wenrich: Listen to a lot of music, support a lot of music, always make music, and enjoy making music. Community is important and make music that’s important to you. And play a lot of shows. In the beginning, play as many shows as you can.

Gidley: Put out a lot of music for a year. Get yourself out there and make [your music]accessible. Try to get as many hits as possible.

Byrd: Don’t be afraid to try new things, because that’s when the coolest things happen, when you try different stuff.

TMH: What would be your dream venue to play?

Paterini: The Moon.

Gidley: On Earth, maybe Red Rocks or Madison Square Garden. Something crazy like that.

Wenrich: As long as it’s sold out. If there was nobody there, it wouldn’t be a dream.

Gidley: But if we’re talking about the whole universe, then the Moon for sure.

TMH: Any chance you’ll be coming to Miami any time soon?

Wenrich: We hope so. We’ve been wanting to go to Florida for years, but it’s just hard. We’ll be coming for sure.

Hallee Meltzer

Hallee Meltzer can be reached at hmeltzer@themiamihurricane.com.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...