Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball falls to Virginia, ranking drops

The Hurricanes have a long weekend ahead of them with No. 12 Seminoles in town for a three-game series at the Light.

The Canes dropped four spots in the rankings to No. 13 in the country after losing two out of three against the Cavaliers last week in Virginia. Florida State is riding a five-game wining streak into Coral Gables.

The Hurricanes need sophomore Willie Abreu to continue his recent hot streak at the plate in order to take down the rival Seminoles. Abreu led all Miami hitters over the weekend with seven hits in the series against Virginia, including a career-high tying performance with four hits in Saturday’s 5-2 loss to the Cavaliers.

Just playing at home might be enough to boost the Canes ahead of the Seminoles. Miami is on a nine-game home winning streak and hasn’t lost at Mark Light Field since March 25, while FSU has lost its last four games on the road.

Miami currently sits atop the ACC Coastal division at 30-11 overall and 15-6 in conference play. With an overall record of 31-12 and 14-7 in conference play, FSU is second in the Atlantic division just behind Louisville.

The Seminoles are the eighth and final in-state team on Miami’s regular season schedule this year. The Hurricanes are 8-4 so far against Florida schools.

Miami was slated to play Florida Atlantic on Wednesday night, but the game was postponed due to inclement weather. That matchup will take place at 6 p.m. on May 12 at the Light.

Featured photo courtesy Hurricane Sports

Mark Singer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...