Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball falls to Virginia, ranking drops

The Hurricanes have a long weekend ahead of them with No. 12 Seminoles in town for a three-game series at the Light.

The Canes dropped four spots in the rankings to No. 13 in the country after losing two out of three against the Cavaliers last week in Virginia. Florida State is riding a five-game wining streak into Coral Gables.

The Hurricanes need sophomore Willie Abreu to continue his recent hot streak at the plate in order to take down the rival Seminoles. Abreu led all Miami hitters over the weekend with seven hits in the series against Virginia, including a career-high tying performance with four hits in Saturday’s 5-2 loss to the Cavaliers.

Just playing at home might be enough to boost the Canes ahead of the Seminoles. Miami is on a nine-game home winning streak and hasn’t lost at Mark Light Field since March 25, while FSU has lost its last four games on the road.

Miami currently sits atop the ACC Coastal division at 30-11 overall and 15-6 in conference play. With an overall record of 31-12 and 14-7 in conference play, FSU is second in the Atlantic division just behind Louisville.

The Seminoles are the eighth and final in-state team on Miami’s regular season schedule this year. The Hurricanes are 8-4 so far against Florida schools.

Miami was slated to play Florida Atlantic on Wednesday night, but the game was postponed due to inclement weather. That matchup will take place at 6 p.m. on May 12 at the Light.

Featured photo courtesy Hurricane Sports

Mark Singer

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...