Athletics, Basketball, Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs 4/23

Women’s Tennis

Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis had two players recognized by the ACC for postseason awards on Wednesday morning. Sinead Lohan is the first player in program history to be honored as ACC Freshman of the Year and was named Second Team All-ACC. Junior Stephanie Wagner received her third career All-ACC honor and was chosen as a First Team All-ACC member for the second season in a row. Lohan has a 17-2 singles record this year and 14-2 in dual matches. Wagner has consistently been ranked top 10 this season. Miami will begin postseason play Friday at the ACC Tournament in Cary, North Carolina.

Manu Lecomte

Former Miami Hurricane Manu Lecomte has committed Baylor to transfer. He sit out the 2015-16 season as per transfer rules and will still have two years of eligibility starting in the 2016-17 season. With the Canes, Lecomte averaged 7.9 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists this season.

Track and Field

Miami Hurricanes Director of Track and Field and Cross-Country Amy Deem announced the addition of Anna Sjoukje Runia to the 2014-15 signing class. Runia, a Netherlands native, is the eighth member of the 2014-15 signing class. She was the Dutch National Junior Champion in both the 100m and 100m hurdles, and she competed at the European Junior Championships in 2013 and the World Junior Championships in 2014. Runia will be joining sprinters Carolyn Brown, Brittny Ellis and Erin Ford, as well as hurdler Samantha Gonzalez and throwers Zakiya Rashid and Edie Svonavec in the new signing class. Sprinter Isaiah Taylor is the only men’s signee in the class.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...