Campus Life, News

Junior Angela Cameron petitions UM to expel her alleged rapist

Professor Katharine Westaway’s women’s and gender studies class hosted the once-a-semester Canes Consent event in the University Center on Tuesday. The event aimed to bring awareness to sexual assault on college campuses and featured free pizza, tank tops and various speakers.

One of the speakers was junior Angela Cameron.

“You could hear a pin drop,” recalled Westaway about Cameron’s speech.

SEE ALSO: Sexual assault survivor speaks out

Cameron described her violent rape in April of last year – which left her with a cracked vertebrae and other injuries – and detailed how she sought help from the university and the criminal justice system to no avail.

After reporting the attack to the university and UMPD, Cameron chose to go ahead with a disciplinary hearing. Her aggressor was charged with relationship or intimate partner violence and sexual assault and battery. Despite this charge, his sentence was a one-semester suspension from UM. He returned to school this spring and is set to graduate at the end of the term.

Cameron’s story struck a nerve with Westaway and the students in attendance at Canes Consent. Immediately following the event, Westaway approached Cameron with the idea of a petition to get her rapist expelled from the university.

Just hours after the petition went live, it had over a thousand signatures. As of Tuesday, it had more than 5,000.

Westaway started Canes Consent in December of 2013 after several of her students went to her with their experiences of being sexually assaulted. More than a year later, she said she is still stunned by the stories of students who come to her.

Westaway said she was furious with how UM handled Cameron’s case. She noted that Cameron came forward with her story shortly after her rape – reporting it to a Resident Assistant just one week after it happened and to UM Police two weeks later. Still, she received no help from the police and the university gave her rapist a minimal sentence.

“She did everything right, but the system failed her,” Westaway said. “That’s the story here; the system failed her.”

With that in mind, Westaway and her students focused all their energy on getting justice for Cameron. The students, still wearing their Canes Consent tank tops, sat with Cameron in their usual classroom and brainstormed strategies to get the university to expel Cameron’s attacker.

Westaway said she and her students hope the petition will be enough to get the university to act, but that she will do whatever is necessary to help Cameron.

“This is a campaign,” Westaway said. “It is already in motion, and until we get justice, we will not stop.”

To view the petition, visit bit.ly/1I09Vw2.

Amanda Wood

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Junior Angela Cameron petitions UM to expel her alleged rapist”

1. James Jr says:

The petition says it was reported to South Miami police department? Fact check please

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...