Personal, academic growth intertwine

If there’s one thing I learned in four years, it’s what makes a good story. As I’ve worked on more than a hundred stories through The Miami Hurricane, I’ve seen my share of articles and experienced the thrill and angst of working on deadline.

As much as I’m aching to quote a musical or joke about our hit mockumentary about the TMH Newsroom, I feel a rush of emotions knowing that this chapter of my life is coming to a close.

For someone who is used to getting lost in books and pages, I’ve found myself working on the ink-stained newsprint. Behind the stories in these pages are countless drafts, in the same way each year at UM I’ve been drafting a version of myself.

With each story I’ve written, my personal narrative has developed, challenging me to seek truth, explore different perspectives and embrace the unconventional.

I feel blessed knowing I found something I’m passionate about and even more grateful about finding a group of people who share that love. What’s a story without a great cast of characters? My newsroom family has been there to celebrate (or have meltdowns) with, break out into Broadway songs and make “Gilmore Girls” references. This newsroom has been the backdrop of my favorite memories at UM and when we’re not driving each other completely insane, we’ve challenged ourselves to be better, write harder stories and create strong content.

Beyond working on a biweekly tabloid, we’ve been working on ourselves and shaping our identities. I’ve learned you have to take a page out of Natasha Bedingfield’s book and embrace the fact that your story is still unwritten – and revel in the freedom that presents.

Ashley Martinez is graduating with majors in journalism and psychology.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...