Personal, academic growth intertwine

If there’s one thing I learned in four years, it’s what makes a good story. As I’ve worked on more than a hundred stories through The Miami Hurricane, I’ve seen my share of articles and experienced the thrill and angst of working on deadline.

As much as I’m aching to quote a musical or joke about our hit mockumentary about the TMH Newsroom, I feel a rush of emotions knowing that this chapter of my life is coming to a close.

For someone who is used to getting lost in books and pages, I’ve found myself working on the ink-stained newsprint. Behind the stories in these pages are countless drafts, in the same way each year at UM I’ve been drafting a version of myself.

With each story I’ve written, my personal narrative has developed, challenging me to seek truth, explore different perspectives and embrace the unconventional.

I feel blessed knowing I found something I’m passionate about and even more grateful about finding a group of people who share that love. What’s a story without a great cast of characters? My newsroom family has been there to celebrate (or have meltdowns) with, break out into Broadway songs and make “Gilmore Girls” references. This newsroom has been the backdrop of my favorite memories at UM and when we’re not driving each other completely insane, we’ve challenged ourselves to be better, write harder stories and create strong content.

Beyond working on a biweekly tabloid, we’ve been working on ourselves and shaping our identities. I’ve learned you have to take a page out of Natasha Bedingfield’s book and embrace the fact that your story is still unwritten – and revel in the freedom that presents.

Ashley Martinez is graduating with majors in journalism and psychology.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...