News, Uncategorized

News Briefs 4/23

NEWS_Puppies_VM

Freshman Maya Lubarsky holds an American Bulldog puppy while senior Sophia Bernstein pets it during the UM Pre-Veterinary society’s annual Puppies on the Green Monday afternoon. One by One Dog Rescue brought the puppies in hopes of finding them permanent homes. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Kaos Spring Showcase

The University of Miami’s first co-ed hip hop dance team, KAOS, will be having their spring showcase. The showcase will exhibit performances that the team has practiced all semester long. Free for all students and open to the community, the show begins at 9 p.m. Thursday, April 23 on the Rock.

Flip a Table for Finals

The Transfer Student Association is helping students de-stress by providing tables to flip over. The free “group therapy session” is open for anyone stressed by finals from 12-2 p.m. Tuesday,  April 28 on the Rock.

‘Osmosis Jones’

The Center for Student Health and Counseling and the Cinematic Arts Commission are providing a study break for students to watch ‘Osmosis Jones’ and enjoy free food. The movie follows Osmosis Jones, a white blood cell,  who teams up with Drix, a cold pill, against Thrax, a deadly virus who plans to kill Frank (Bill Murray) in 48 hours. The event is free for all students from 8-10 p.m.  Monday,  April 27 at the Lakeside Patio.

Study Break

Several organizations on campus are providing study breaks for students during finals week. Commuter Assistants is giving out free finals survival kits from 10-11 a.m. Tuesday,  April 28 on the Green. Student Government is offering Insomnia Cookies and milk from 6-8 p.m. Tuesday,  April 28 on the Green.  Student Health Advisory Committee will be handing out study kits from 12-2 p.m. Tuesday, April 28 on the Rock. Greek life will also be hosting a study break on Monday, April 27 from 6-8 p.m. on the Rock.

New website

The University of Miami’s new website will debut Friday, and it will focus more on a student perspective. It will include an opportunity for students to submit their own photos to be used on part of the site. The site’s address will continue to be miami.edu.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa