Basketball, Sports

Miami announces Jamal Brunt as new assistant basketball coach

The Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball Coach Jim Larrañaga announced Wednesday the hiring of Jamal Brunt as assistant coach for the Canes.

“Jamal is smart, hard-working and skilled in every aspect of college coaching,” Larrañaga said. “He is an outstanding recruiter, communicator, teacher and great role model for our student athletes.”

He was formerly the associate head coach at the University of Richmond for the past 10 years. He started out in 2005 as director of operations for the Spiders, was promoted to an assistant coach in 2007 and then became associate head coach in 2013.

“I am extremely excited to be joining Coach Larrañaga and his staff at the University of Miami,” Brunt said in a release. “The opportunity to learn and grow under one of the best coaches in the country and in the best college basketball conference in the country was too good to be true. I am looking forward to help[ing]continue building on the success that Coach L and his staff have already established.”

He helped lead the Spiders to six postseason appearances and five 20-win seasons. In 2015, Brunt helped Richmond earn a top-four seed in the NIT where they lost to Miami in the quarterfinals.

Brunt is a Baltimore native and became an assistant coach at his alma mater Randolph-Macon for the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons before joining the Spiders.

Featured photo courtesy Hurricane Sports

Courtney Fiorini

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...