Embrace challenges wholeheartedly

T.S. Eliot and I have something in common. We’re not big fans of April.

I didn’t think my final issue as editor-in-chief would arrive this quickly.

These four years at the Hurricane have been crazy and exciting. Rather than write a heart-wrenching goodbye, I’ll depart with a snapshot of what I’ve learned after more than 100 deadlines spent aching over countless stories.

First, I’ll admit that breaking news can be your best friend, or rather, a frenemy whom you occasionally grab a cup of coffee with.

It’s been a particularly amazing year for breaking news: President Shalala stepping down, the president-elect Dr. Julio Frenk and, of course, football players and their shenanigans. These have made our jobs easier and more fun.

Additionally, this commitment to the 24/7 news cycle wouldn’t be possible without an amazing staff and incredible faculty adviser, Ileana Oroza. This year’s team has been top-notch in its commitment to fully embrace the Web.

However, this transition was definitely a challenge. We now publish stories daily and aggressively live-tweet during football games and big announcements.

I’m glad I played a role in this transition. It’s been a blast.

But above all, a newsroom staff is a home away from home. When we’re not editing stories or planning rundowns, we’ve quipped about Broadway musicals, obsessed over funny tweets and imagined ourselves in a mockumentary titled “#Journalism.”

The pilot episode is in the works. Check it out on a major premium cable channel.

Regardless of any hurdles we faced, the Hurricane is one of the best experiences of my undergraduate career. I have the utmost faith in next year’s staff to continue where we left off.

Keep up the good work. Savor every moment, even when the going gets tough and classes forget that you’re a journalist. And remember that when the news gods bless you, tweet, report, publish and repeat.

Mischief managed.

Alexander Gonzalez is graduating with a major in English.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...