Campus Life, News

Men march in heels to raise sexual assault awareness

Students participate in the sixth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event by taking part in a walk around the Rock and Green while wearing bright red high heels Monday afternoon. Marwan Alenezi // Contributing Photographer

Striving to raise awareness about domestic violence and sexual assault, the sixth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event took place on Monday around the Foote Green and the Rock.

The event is an international march, where men walk in red high heel shoes to show empathy for female victims of assault and abuse.

According to the National Violence Against Women survey, women account for 78 percent of sexual assault victims.

The event was organized by Counseling Outreach Peer Education, or COPE, a student-led branch of the Counseling Center that allows for easier and better interaction between University of Miami students and Counseling Center services.

“It is successful in sparking the dialogue on sexual violence because it creates an atmosphere to discuss it,” said senior Noelle Mendez, public relations chair for COPE. “People get to listen to people openly discuss it, and it hopefully makes others feel comfortable to discuss it, too.”

Participants walked in bright red heels during the event, which also featured a toiletries drive for the Safe Space Foundation’s shelter for women, and representatives from Project Unbreakable, a photography initiative that aims to give a voice to survivors of abuse, assault and violence.

According to attendees like freshman Anthony Maganini, the event gave them the opportunity to think about the everyday life of a woman.

“I wanted to get in touch with the female perspective a little bit more because I think of myself as a feminist, but I’ve never really lived that female perspective, so this is a good exercise,” Maganini said. “And it’s actually very difficult to walk in these.”

The event sparked thought and conversation about the issues of assault and abuse, something participants considered important because there is not enough dialogue around the issue.

Freshman Earl Generato said the event was a way to bring the issue of sexual assault out into the open.

“I have talked to and know a lot of people who have been sexually assaulted before,” he said. “I’m seeing this event as a way of bringing awareness to the idea that sexual assault is plaguing the U.S., and that people sometimes refuse to talk about it when they should have an open discussion.”

The Sexual Assault Response Team on campus can be reached at 305-798-6666.

Sophie Barros

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...