News Briefs 4/20

NEWSBRIEFS_UM 90th

In celebration of the University’s 90th birthday students posed for pictures with colorful props. Other activities included writing thank you letters to President Shala, signing a chalkboard mural, and eating birthday cake. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

50th Birthday Party

The University Center is turning 50 years old on Wednesday. Several events will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. throughout the Student Center Complex to celebrate the anniversary.

On the Lakeside Patio, there will be a 1960s-themed photo booth, cake pops, and make your own dog tags. At 12:45 p.m., the UC Pool is having a dive show. The UC Lower Lounge and Breezeway will display a photography exhibit, and giveaway Coca-Cola and vouchers for free cookies at the Rathskeller. In the food court, Built will offer 50-cent fries, and Innovation Kitchen will sell pigs in a blanket.

The university community can post photos on social media with the hashtag #HappyBdayUC.

Hug the Lake

Random Acts of Kindness is celebrating Earth Day with its annual Hug the Lake event, where students join hands around Lake Osceola. The free event is open for all students and faculty, and participants will receive a free T-shirt. Additionally, Commuter Assistants  will be handing out free dirt cups for the first 50 students who attend the event.

Dancing with the UMiami Stars

Student leaders pair up with faculty members for the fourth annual Dancing with the UMiami Stars Competition, presented by the Miami Ballroom Club. Participating students include David Cortes Ortiz, Jesus Melendez, Brittany Maffett, Christel Wekon-Kemeni, Jake Kaplan, Jake Gillman, Alison Scudds, Pooja Mayur and Brett Lerner. The event is free for students and faculty, and will begin at 7 p.m. Thursday in the SAC Center Ballroom.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...