News Briefs 4/20

NEWSBRIEFS_UM 90th

In celebration of the University’s 90th birthday students posed for pictures with colorful props. Other activities included writing thank you letters to President Shala, signing a chalkboard mural, and eating birthday cake. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

50th Birthday Party

The University Center is turning 50 years old on Wednesday. Several events will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. throughout the Student Center Complex to celebrate the anniversary.

On the Lakeside Patio, there will be a 1960s-themed photo booth, cake pops, and make your own dog tags. At 12:45 p.m., the UC Pool is having a dive show. The UC Lower Lounge and Breezeway will display a photography exhibit, and giveaway Coca-Cola and vouchers for free cookies at the Rathskeller. In the food court, Built will offer 50-cent fries, and Innovation Kitchen will sell pigs in a blanket.

The university community can post photos on social media with the hashtag #HappyBdayUC.

Hug the Lake

Random Acts of Kindness is celebrating Earth Day with its annual Hug the Lake event, where students join hands around Lake Osceola. The free event is open for all students and faculty, and participants will receive a free T-shirt. Additionally, Commuter Assistants  will be handing out free dirt cups for the first 50 students who attend the event.

Dancing with the UMiami Stars

Student leaders pair up with faculty members for the fourth annual Dancing with the UMiami Stars Competition, presented by the Miami Ballroom Club. Participating students include David Cortes Ortiz, Jesus Melendez, Brittany Maffett, Christel Wekon-Kemeni, Jake Kaplan, Jake Gillman, Alison Scudds, Pooja Mayur and Brett Lerner. The event is free for students and faculty, and will begin at 7 p.m. Thursday in the SAC Center Ballroom.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...