News Briefs 4/20

NEWSBRIEFS_UM 90th

In celebration of the University’s 90th birthday students posed for pictures with colorful props. Other activities included writing thank you letters to President Shala, signing a chalkboard mural, and eating birthday cake. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

50th Birthday Party

The University Center is turning 50 years old on Wednesday. Several events will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. throughout the Student Center Complex to celebrate the anniversary.

On the Lakeside Patio, there will be a 1960s-themed photo booth, cake pops, and make your own dog tags. At 12:45 p.m., the UC Pool is having a dive show. The UC Lower Lounge and Breezeway will display a photography exhibit, and giveaway Coca-Cola and vouchers for free cookies at the Rathskeller. In the food court, Built will offer 50-cent fries, and Innovation Kitchen will sell pigs in a blanket.

The university community can post photos on social media with the hashtag #HappyBdayUC.

Hug the Lake

Random Acts of Kindness is celebrating Earth Day with its annual Hug the Lake event, where students join hands around Lake Osceola. The free event is open for all students and faculty, and participants will receive a free T-shirt. Additionally, Commuter Assistants  will be handing out free dirt cups for the first 50 students who attend the event.

Dancing with the UMiami Stars

Student leaders pair up with faculty members for the fourth annual Dancing with the UMiami Stars Competition, presented by the Miami Ballroom Club. Participating students include David Cortes Ortiz, Jesus Melendez, Brittany Maffett, Christel Wekon-Kemeni, Jake Kaplan, Jake Gillman, Alison Scudds, Pooja Mayur and Brett Lerner. The event is free for students and faculty, and will begin at 7 p.m. Thursday in the SAC Center Ballroom.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...