Baseball, Sports

Canes baseball wins ninth straight in top 25 win

Hurricanes left fielder Carl Chester bats against UCF Wednesday night at Mark Light Field // The Miami Hurricane

It was a little bit of déjà vu at Mark Light Field as the No. 9 Miami Hurricanes battled the No. 19 UCF Knights on Wednesday night. A week after going into extra innings against No. 21 Florida Atlantic, the Cardiac Canes were at it again, bringing the game down to the wire.

“If you play the teams from down here, they’re all pretty good,” head coach Jim Morris said. “I don’t care if it’s FAU or Central Florida or South Florida. All those clubs are good. There’s a lot of good players down here in South Florida. Because of that, everybody’s good.”

Miami (29-9) and UCF (25-13) were locked at two for two and a half innings before the Hurricanes loaded the bases in the seventh. Then, Garrett Kennedy stepped up to the plate and smacked a 2-RBI single to right field. The catcher is the Hurricanes’ leading batter with an average of .382 and is on a nine-game hit streak.

Willie Abreu launched a home run, also to right field, in the second that tied the Knights’ run in the opening inning.

“I’m not changing my approach,” the sophomore said when asked if he has been trying to hit for power. This was only his second homer of the season. “I just continue to work with my coaches and have trust in what they want me to do and I continue to do what they tell me.”

UCF answered in the fourth when Tommy Williams hit a home run. Despite two earned runs from starter Danny Garcia, the defense and relief pitchers were able to back him up.

“That’s all you can ask is to have a good start by those guys and have our bullpen keep it going,” Kennedy said.

Bryan Garcia got his eighth save, going three up, three down including one strikeout. Michael Mediavilla gets the win for Miami, pitching two-thirds of an inning in the seventh.

Miami travels to Virginia to play a weekend series. The team completed a 9-game home stand, winning every game. The Virginia series can be heard on WVUM 90.5 FM.

Victoria Hernandez

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...