Community, News

ABC Construction to build overpass across U.S. 1

Eight years after being approved by the Miami-Dade County Commission, the much-anticipated construction of the U.S. 1 pedestrian overpass next to the University Metrorail station is set to begin April 23.

The groundbreaking ceremony will take place at the University Metrorail station, across Ponce de Leon Boulevard from the University of Miami campus.

According to a report by The Miami Hurricane in 2013, eight University of Miami students had been killed or seriously injured trying to cross the six-lane highway since 1989. The UM community has awaited the overpass’ construction for years, and it finally seems that safe passage across US 1 isn’t far away.

Jorge Gonzalez, president of ABC Construction, the company that will be constructing the overpass, said the project would ideally be completed in a year. While he expects some obstacles such as traffic on U.S. 1 and night work, he said they expect to have it completed in their time frame.

They will be forced to shut down the six-lane highway at some points during the construction, which may increase traffic in the area. 

“At the end of the day, it’s going to be great. People will be able to go back and forth safely. People go down U.S.1 at 70 miles an hour,” Gonzalez said.

The bridge will have two towers with elevators and staircases in each. Gonzalez said one tower on the west side of U.S. 1 will force them to move one of the traffic light polls and take out a piece of sidewalk. A fence will also be placed next to the highway, preventing pedestrians from bypassing the overpass.

The bridge has a nice architectural design, according to Gonzalez, and will be covered with a roof as well. But those who cross the highway often will be happy to have a safe way of crossing.

Correction: The story originally stated that the construction is “set to begin on Tuesday.” The correct date is Thursday, April 23.

William Riggin

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...