News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Student-athlete talent show, UV gates, SG budget

With only one more Senate meeting of the year, last minute projects are being finalized as Student Government looks ahead to next year.

• Seniors graduating are encouraged to complete their Tradition Keeper, an online book where students can upload pictures of their UM bucket list. Uploading five pictures awards a senior sunglasses, 10 is a UM pin and 20 is a UM Tradition Keeper medal.
  • The University Affairs committee is close to completing two projects that will help improve campus next year. Although the date is not set, the University Village will be getting gates to enclose the area to improve safety, especially at night. Chartwells take-out options are expanding by allowing one orange and three green items and not counting fruit as an entree anymore.
  • The Student-Athlete Talent Show will take place at 7 p.m. on Monday, April 20 in the SAC Ballrooms. There is a meet-and-greet at 6:30 p.m. Although the show is free for all students, donations will be given to the Debbie School, a school for children with special needs.
  • Starting next year, there will be a mental health forum every semester.
  • Action #15081 highlighted five major changes for the Elections Commission.
    • Elections commission members are not required to reapply for their position, but can be removed if they aren’t doing their job sufficiently.
    • Certain days during an election will be allocated for candidates to meet student organizations.
    • Multiple tickets can use the Rock to campaign.
    • Candidates and their teams do not have to hide their affiliation shirts anymore when voting in the Breezeway, but members from the Elections Commission will be on duty to make sure they are not lingering or persuading students to vote a certain way.
  • Action #15083 ratified the SG Fall 2015 budget by adding more money to certain areas of the bill.
    • On-campus programming was given more money, and money available for co-sponsorship increased from $2,000 to $8,000.
    • The TIPAC Allocation specified how much money is allocated for internal and external projects. The allocation includes money that can be used for internal projects ($5,000), such as the recent trip to Wynwood sponsored by the Freshmen Leadership Council (FLC). Another $3,000 can be used externally by non-SG members or clubs that, for example, might want to start up their own club. The definition for the allocation is vague but will be more specific in the future.
    • SG’s total budget is $52,725.64.

Alina Zerpa