News Briefs 4/16

Nonviolence Training

The Freedom Foundation and Students UNITE are presenting a training session on how to resolve conflict peacefully, a tactic used by Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. Presented by UM Alternative Breaks, the two-day session will be taught by nonviolence practitioners from Selma, Ala.

The event is free and open for all students. It will be from 4-8 p.m. on Friday, Apr. 17 and from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday,  Apr. 18 in room 2055 of the Wolfson Building in the School of Communication.

Canes Consent

This annual event, started by students and faculty in the Women’s and Gender Studies department, aims to raise awareness of the national issue of sexual assault on college campuses. Canes Consent features free food and music, along with speakers about how students can help stop sexual assault. Free for students and the community, the event will be from 12-3 p.m. on Tuesday, April 21 on the Rock.

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes

The international men’s march, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, invites men on campus to wear red high heels and walk a figurative mile in them to raise awareness about domestic violence and sexual assault. There will be representatives from Project Unbreakable, a photography project aimed to give a voice to the survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence and child abuse, as well as a drive for unused toiletries for the women’s shelter, Safe Space Foundation.

For those interested, preregister to cope@miami.edu, with your name, shoe size (for the men) and name of your team, if applicable. For a donation of five dollars, participants can receive a Walk a Mile T-shirt. There will be a raffle for a $50 gift card to the Rat for individual participants and one $100 gift card for the team with the most participants.

If you or somebody you know needs help, please call the Sexual Assault Resource Team (SART) at 305-798-6666 or the Counseling Center at 305-284-5511.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted from the azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...