News Briefs 4/16

Nonviolence Training

The Freedom Foundation and Students UNITE are presenting a training session on how to resolve conflict peacefully, a tactic used by Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. Presented by UM Alternative Breaks, the two-day session will be taught by nonviolence practitioners from Selma, Ala.

The event is free and open for all students. It will be from 4-8 p.m. on Friday, Apr. 17 and from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday,  Apr. 18 in room 2055 of the Wolfson Building in the School of Communication.

Canes Consent

This annual event, started by students and faculty in the Women’s and Gender Studies department, aims to raise awareness of the national issue of sexual assault on college campuses. Canes Consent features free food and music, along with speakers about how students can help stop sexual assault. Free for students and the community, the event will be from 12-3 p.m. on Tuesday, April 21 on the Rock.

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes

The international men’s march, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, invites men on campus to wear red high heels and walk a figurative mile in them to raise awareness about domestic violence and sexual assault. There will be representatives from Project Unbreakable, a photography project aimed to give a voice to the survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence and child abuse, as well as a drive for unused toiletries for the women’s shelter, Safe Space Foundation.

For those interested, preregister to cope@miami.edu, with your name, shoe size (for the men) and name of your team, if applicable. For a donation of five dollars, participants can receive a Walk a Mile T-shirt. There will be a raffle for a $50 gift card to the Rat for individual participants and one $100 gift card for the team with the most participants.

If you or somebody you know needs help, please call the Sexual Assault Resource Team (SART) at 305-798-6666 or the Counseling Center at 305-284-5511.

Alina Zerpa may be contacted from the azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...