Commentary, Sports

Dr. Julio Frenk shows support for athletics

New University of Miami President Julio Frenk has a stellar background in the public health department, but less is known about the incoming president’s experience regarding athletics.

Frenk lacks an obvious track record that would point to great success in the future for the Hurricanes on the field. That doesn’t mean Canes fans should get their pitchforks ready, though.

On the day of Frenk’s announcement, he carved out time to meet with several of the school’s head coaches for about 45 minutes.

Frenk, a former soccer and basketball player, told Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press that he believes “athletics is an integral part of education [and]higher education, and [he looks]forward to getting very much involved in that part of university life.”

Football Head Coach Al Golden seemed impressed with Frenk in a prepared statement when he said: “This is a tremendous day for the University of Miami and our student athletes. I know he will continue to build on our university’s wonderful foundation and take us to even greater heights.”

Women’s basketball Head Coach Kate Meier echoed Golden’s sentiment.

“I was really impressed that on his very first day, he carved out time to meet with the athletics administration and all of the head coaches,” Meier told the Associated Press. “It’s a real statement for athletics and our position and this university, and we look forward to his leadership.”

Men’s basketball Head Coach Jim Larrañaga followed suit and told Susan Miller Degnan of the Miami Herald, “As a coach, you hope that your administration is going to be very, very supportive of athletics. And from what I understand, he is.’’

The first impressions from the coaches indicate that the Hurricanes will fare just fine under Frenk. However, no one knows for sure how the Canes will perform in the coming years.

Mark Singer

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...