‘Face It’ challenges personal insecurities

EDGE_FaceIt1_MA

SPARK and Girls 4 Good hosted the second annual photography exhibition of “Face It,” which challenges women to think about their insecurities. Marwan Alenezi // Contributing Photographer

Photography and creativity combine to shine light on young women’s personal insecurities during the “Face It” photography exhibition.

On Tuesday, SPARK and Girls 4 Good hosted the second annual exhibition designed to challenge women to think about their insecurities.

The photo project asked dozens of young women in the university community to write a personal insecurity onto their bodies. Underneath it was a caption that provided context to the photo and what the insecurity meant to them in their lives.

Danielle Sheerer, a junior majoring in mathematics and member of Girls 4 Good, was one of the women who volunteered to have her photo taken. She believes the biggest challenge facing young women in the community is the many high societal expectations.

“Women, in general, have much more labels than men do,” Sheerer said.

As part of the interactive exhibit, gallery guests were given post-it notes at the entrance and were urged to write something meaningful, empowering, or factual to their photographed peers, many of whom were at the event.

Valerie Quirk, a junior studying marketing and visual journalism, founded Girls 4 Good when she was a freshman at Central High School in Springfield, Missouri. In an effort to keep it going, she brought it with her to UM and joined forces with SPARK to create and organize the event.

“Almost everyone is caught up in a fast-paced life and they don’t take a second to think about the stress that puts on them individually,” Quirk said. “It’s nice to give them this opportunity to take a moment of reflection on insecurities. In doing so, people release themselves in a way.”

Quirk also believes the exhibition served to help individuals.

“Acknowledging insecurities in front of people is freeing yourself from them,” Valerie said. “First step in solving a problem is admitting it exists.”

Marwan Alenezi

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...