News, Shalala

University of Miami expected to name Harvard dean Julio Frenk as sixth president

Julio Frenk // Photo via Frenk's Twitter

Julio Frenk // Photo via Frenk’s Twitter

Dr. Julio Frenk is expected to be named the sixth president of the University of Miami on Monday.

Frenk, dean of faculty at Harvard’s School of Public Health, would be the first Hispanic president of UM.

SEE ALSO: Presidential Search Committee’s 13 members will select Shalala’s successor

After the UM Board of Trustees takes a vote Monday morning to confirm Frenk during an executive meeting, the university will hold a press conference at noon concerning the future of the institution’s leadership.

The university declined to comment.

The Miami Hurricane will offer live tweets from the press conference at noon. Follow the latest updates on Twitter at @MiamiHurricane.

Check back to themiamihurricane.com for the full story after the press conference and throughout the day as we continue to cover further developments.

Related stories

Donna E. Shalala will step down at school year’s end

Top 10 Yik Yak Reactions to Shalala Stepping Down

Shalala’s successor should shine as brightly

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...