Edge, Q & A + Profiles

Stand-up comedian to take local stage

CORRECTION: This story originally reported that Malik was born in Pakistan and was an admissions recruiter at the Miller School of Medicine. Malik was born in New York but spent time living in Pakistan, and he is an admissions adviser for the American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine in Coral Gables. The story was updated Wednesday at 7:55 p.m. to reflect this change.

Fasil Mailk is a recruiter at the Miller School of Medicine by day and a stand-up comedian by night. He will perform Wednesday at the Open Stage Club in Coral Gables. Photo Courtesy Fasil Malik.

Fasil Mailk is a stand-up comedian. He will perform Wednesday at the Open Stage Club in Coral Gables. Photo Courtesy Fasil Malik.

Most people fear being laughed at. Being alone, on stage and under a spotlight while a crowd of people laughs seems like a nightmare for most.

That’s not the case for stand-up comedian Fasil Malik.

“To me, nothing is more addicting than making and hearing people laugh,” said the 32-year-old accountant.

Malik graduated with a degree in accounting in 2004 from Monmouth University, N.J., and moved to Miami in 2008 to work at the American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine in Coral Gables.

For two years, Malik has been fully committed to his comedy. He has performed more than 250 shows to date, including some in New Jersey, Colorado, Florida and New York. Malik even opened for famed singer Patti LaBelle in front of 2,000 people in Fort Lauderdale in 2014.

Malik’s comedy covers a wide range of topics, but his acts are usually “very clean.”

“Most of my act is self-deprecating, meaning I just make fun of myself,” he added. “But I also like to poke fun at everyday activities, relationship ups and downs and other things, depending on the crowd sometimes.”

Malik says that the people who seem to enjoy his comedy the most are college students, even though his material is not tailored to a particular demographic.

He stressed the importance of gauging the audience.

“Sometimes I see a crowd of just old white guys,” he said. “I remember one time I opened my act by bringing that up. ‘Wow, what a diverse crowd! We have white, whiter, pale and ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ here tonight! Good to see you all.’”

Malik is inspired by comedians such as Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg and Jerry Seinfeld. When asked why he chose to pursue stand-up, Malik explained that it is the purest form of comedy there is.

“Acting and improv are limited,” he said. “In stand-up, you’re the writer, performer and star. You have much more freedom.”

Although performing can be daunting, Malik encouraged novice comedians to pursue the craft.

“Don’t be afraid to make a fool of yourself, that’s how you’ll learn,” he said.

Malik’s next show will take place at 7-9 p.m. Wednesday at the Open Stage Club in Coral Gables.

Where: Open Stage Club, 2325 Galiano St., Coral Gables, Fla. 33134

When: 7-9 p.m. Wednesday

Cost: Free

• The second hour of the show will be an open mic, where anyone is welcome to perform a five-minute stand-up routine.
• To sign up for a slot, it is recommended that guests arrive at 6:30 p.m.

Marwan Alenezi

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...