LGBT, News

Senate resolution supports Florida proposal

On Wednesday, Student Government Senate passed a resolution to gain the University of Miami’s public support for the Florida Competitive Workforce Act.

The act is a proposed bill to amend Florida’s non-discrimination policy to include protection from discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identification.

This amendment to Florida’s legislation is supported by Florida Businesses for a Competitive Workforce, a coalition of “some of the state’s top employers and business leaders,” according to flcompetitiveworkforce.com. Businesses in the coalition include the American Airlines Arena, Walt Disney World, the University of North Florida and Rollins College, among others.

UPride President Jacob Rudolph, who wrote the resolution presented to SG Senate, says he hopes the university will publicly support the Florida act. He also says that this resolution works to affirm what has already been done at the university level and endorse it at the state level.

The university incorporated gender identity and gender expression into UM’s non-discrimination policy in 2013.

“The resolution that we passed was a call to action,” Rudolph said. “We hope to get endorsement from the administration on this. So we would love for [President Donna E. Shalala] to write a sentence or two saying the University of Miami as an institution supports the Florida Competitive Workforce Act.”

A similar resolution addressing LGBT issues was passed at the end of fall 2014, which called for the creation of a gender-neutral housing option for all students.

Though a gender-neutral housing option is still not available, Brianna Hathaway, SG president-elect, said university administration told her that gender-neutral bathrooms could be a possibility during her term, according to a previous story published in The Miami Hurricane.

Rudolph says that though there is still work to be done for LGBT students, the university has been receptive when it comes to their issues.

“The university I think is doing a very good job so far of listening to students who have brought up concerns like gender neutral housing and gender neutral bathrooms,” he said. “You know, they weren’t on the radar until students brought them up and so I think the university should continue being diligent about listening to students.”

He also says that he hopes Shalala’s successor continues to work with students.

“I would love to see this new president maintain this same kind of open door policy when it comes to student input especially regarding LGBT issues,” Rudolph said.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...