Edge, Theater

Ring Theatre to showcase classic ‘Oklahoma!’

oklahoma

Design by Emma Deardorff

For its final show of the semester, the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre is producing “Oklahoma!” The show is set in the Oklahoma territory in 1906 and follows the romance between cowboy Curly McLain and farm girl Laurey Williams.

The production opens at 8 p.m. Wednesday and will run through April 26. Tickets start at $25 and are $10 for students. April 21 will be Totally Tuesday, when students can watch the show for free.

Laurey Williams

oklahoma-01

This independent young woman lives with her Aunt Eller on a ranch. She has a certain innocence and air of knowledge about her. Laurey loves Curly, though she won’t acknowledge it. Senior Schyler Rice will perform as Laurey.

Curly McLain

oklahoma-01 3

He won’t admit it, but Curly is smitten with Laurey after wandering into her yard. He is a confident cowboy whose nickname comes from his curly hair. Senior Luke Hamilton will perform as Curly.

Aunt Eller

oklahoma-01 2

Laurey’s aunt is a respected community member who sees the good in everyone. She is a fun-loving caretaker who acts as the town’s aunt and watches over the community. Senior April Ripley will perform as Aunt Eller.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...